View Single Post
Old 01-25-2008, 08:35 AM   #176
markgsnw
WTF?

Oddometer: 3,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotMaker
Yep, that was me.

We've had a nightmare on industrial products offering an external antenna option for the uplink. People solder up their own cable made out of about 50 feet of speaker wire, that gives them about 60 dB loss (when they had 15 dB of margin to play with in the first place) and then bitch about how bad our transmitter sucks. (I'm not even exaggerating! ) Hence, no external antenna jack!

Sorry, I don't get the logic. Garmin has an external antenna jack that is waterproof, and I'm not aware of a rash of Garmin owners doing dumbass things like making antennas out of coathangers. I can buy an excellent Gilsson antenna (and have done so) for $20 that greatly enhances the functionality of my GPS unit. Please don't patronize your customers by assuming that they are all morons and need to be protected from themselves.

I own the product and like it, the price is very reasonable, I think it has some operational and design issues that could be worked out. I'd pay $50 more for an antenna jack so that I could use the unit in my truck without having to duct tape it to the dash. I'd pay more for a display that made sense to me, or maybe that could just be worked out a bit better.

2011 Moto Guzzi Norge 8V GT

markgsnw screwed with this post 01-25-2008 at 08:41 AM
markgsnw is offline   Reply With Quote