View Single Post
Old 01-25-2008, 07:41 AM   #177
markgsnw
WTF?

Oddometer: 3,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotMaker
I and all of us at Axonn concur. You hit the nail on the head. Our entire engineering staff is convinced that when the guy who wrote that review complained about the "lack of sensitivity of the GPS" what was really happening was that he was giving the unit no path to transmit. He was interpreting the lack of tracking points on the map at findmespot.com as lack of GPS reception. He was forgetting that the transmitter has to get through too.

Insider hint about belt clip use: (Take notes ).

I did some tests myself with the SPoT clipped on my belt at my side. I got almost no tracking points at all!!

Then, I realized what was wrong. My arm was blocking the antenna!

Solution, clipped it on in back, right above my butt crack. In the open, that gets me about 60% of my track points!

I walked around for the better part of a day in Lugano Switzerland with the SPoT clipped on my belt at the back. These are narrow streets lined by buildings that average 6 - 10 stories. Got about 40% of my track points under those conditions. I tried about 5 "check in" messages with it on my belt like this in Lugano and got all of them.

Later, I walked around for several hours in Milan Italy. Similar narrow streets but the buildings average around 12 stories. Same results. (About 40% track.)

Obviously, you don't get as good a results with the thing on your belt as you do with the SPoT logo facing the sky. The antenna aim is not optimal, and there's a body absorption issue.

I'll leave it to those people who've been reading all the SPoT related press releases to guess what I was doing in Lugano and Milan.

I walked around an urban setting for three hours with the unit clipped above my sacrum (sounds better than butt crack, don't you think) and got zero tracking points. Hmm, maybe I should have duct taped the unit to my head with the logo pointed skyward.

I think the reviewer missed the entire point of the unit, it's not designed for urban use. It would be fun to have the tracking feature work in an urban environment, but clearly this is not what the product was engineered for.

2011 Moto Guzzi Norge 8V GT
markgsnw is offline   Reply With Quote