View Single Post
Old 01-27-2008, 08:36 PM   #153
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleyrider
The photos I have attached are of me in 1972 on a used (Rich Thorwaldson's practice bike) '71 TM400R at El Mirage Dry Lake. Both Rich and John DeSoto did well on these in competition at the time.
Not trying to "Flame" you, just stating that the "Evil" aspect of the bike was overblown.

Oh yeah, I was 23 when they came out.
your input to this thread is invaluable. it really is a window into a very special time (1970ish give and take a few) and place (California).

great stuff. I'm sure you know, Thorwaldson died road racing a few years back. I remarked at the time that checking out at his age (63?) while racing and obviously never stopped racing, wasn't all that bad of a deal considering how many people for so many reasons have to throw in the towel so much earlier. but it still sucks.

I met John Desoto at Mid Ohio VintageDays MX this past summer. He was really great and really appreciated that people were interested in him. He was like you knew him your whole life he was so cool about it.

I have in a scrap book when I used to cut magazines up another Suzuki ad with John DeSoto and his brother(?) posing and wheelieing away from a starting line on TM400's.

you catch it at the right angle the 71 has some pretty sweet lines.

nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote