View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 09:29 AM   #163
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
good stuff. I never knew what a Steens Hodaka really was all about but I remember them in magazines and seeing guys wearing the jersey's.
In the years before Hodaka build their first race bike, the Super Rat, Jhon Steen took Ace 100 Hodakas and tore them down and re-built them as "race bikes". The frames were painted silver, The gas tanks were given a dark blue paint job down the top. Ceriani forks, webco air filter & pipe.

I grew up in the D-37 desert races and knew Rich Thorwalson. Rich and many of the other members of the Prospectors MC were world class racers. Rich's dad Bill and Charlie Hockie had a Bultaco Shop (CB Motors) in Gardena. Bill Messer (father of MX ace Bobby Messer) and Bill Thor were the first americans to race the ISDT, sponsored on a couple of VIllers by Nick Nicolson, aka "Uncle Nick" who went on to be the Greeves distributer.

Prior to landing that rare "Full Ride" factory sponsorship on the Suzuki, Rick kicked major ass on his Jhon Steen sponsored Rickman Westlake BSA thumper. Rich was never able to do on the factory backed Suzuki what he could do on the Rickman.
Strong Bad is offline   Reply With Quote