View Single Post
Old 04-22-2004, 09:06 PM   #47
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,256
some nice TA here, mines a bit flogged compaed to your bikes, i bought it ( cheap !!) last fall, working on getting it up to spec, fork springs, bearings, CDI's, ohlins rear shock

Anyone hang some bigger forks on theirs? I have heard XR650 fit fairly easily, I have 2 sets and may do the swap, they will need to be lowered natch', I have some USD forks, Showa that I might try to graft on also, it would reduce turnign radius with the USD, I have some ohlins USD but those might go on something else (hmmm DL650....)

anyone lengthen the rear suspension? how would a 1" longer shock work ?
check this out
http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanzw/jpg/dave01.htm
note the 650V engine

anyone know Dave?
this was pinched from the same web site, about the above bike, is this trick or what ? CR frame .....
SA
red
See below

It is great to find so many Transalp enthusiasts on the web. As you know not as many TAs in the USA... 89 & 90 only... XLV-750Rs and African Twins are grey market only.
I have a 1989 Transalp which is White and one of the first in the USA. It has approx. 7K miles and has been modified with a fabricated carbonfiber exhaust, de-smogged, re-jetted, K&N air filter, BMW luggage racks, Enduro 4 Tires, dyno-tuned, etc... I recently purchased a 1990 Transalp with 12K miles ( I always wanted a red one. It is stock for now. I bought it to install my spare NT-650 engine in it but the original equipment is still so good that I'm hesitant to molest it. So I think I'll look for a thrasher to build up.
I mostly ride in the coastal mountians of Northern California where I live. We ride year round here and dual sport alot using XR-600Rs made street legal. A group of us ride on every Tuesday night in the Santa Cruz Mountians near Los Gatos, CA. Lots of fun.
We are allowed to modify our bikes here. I would like to build up a TA with a African Twin 750 engine or equal. Is anyone already doing this?
Harry a friend of mine and expert craftsman recently completed a TA with a 700cc NT-650 built to TWO BROS. specs. He says it bolted right in. he also lowered it and installed CBR wheels and sport bike rear body treatment. This bike was on the road before the new VTR and is very trick.
I also own and ride a Hybrid Dualsport bike built by Harry for himself in the early 90s as a desert racer. It has a NT-650 Twin also built as a 700cc special, mounted in a custom fabricated frame using CR-500 suspension componetry. I have riden this bike for the past three years and it thrills me every time.
(photo attached) I would enjoy e-mailing with anyone who has similar intrests or has experience and knowledge of AT & TA modifications and engine swaps.

HighwayChile screwed with this post 05-22-2007 at 08:44 PM
HighwayChile is offline   Reply With Quote