View Single Post
Old 03-17-2008, 08:59 AM   #22
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 582
I think it's easy to stray away from the original objectives here. The XS was produced to improve several issues that have been regarded by many as important to the way they wish to use their KLR.

Firstly, many seem to add a large screen to make highway travel more comfortable. This rarely works, instead it increases the buffeting, gets in the way off road, increases instability and I'm sure no one added it for looks!!
From the reports back from the 60+ KLR owners that have one, the XS solves all of this and more.
Secondly, many seem to like to add numerous gadgets (in particular GPS's) to their bikes and find themselves stuck with strapping things on the handlebars etc. The XS solves all of this with a proper dash enabling all instruments to be where they should be - up in front of you.

Lastly, many find the instability issues uncomfortable (the famous fender waggle). The XS tracks like an arrow at whatever speed the engine will take you to.

The last issue was lighting and here the XS offers nothing, which will soon be addressed.

The looks really never entered into it particularly, although many emails to us asked for one that retained all of the benefits of the XS, but had the conventional fender and better lighting. The model shown here (and remember it's just a mock up made of molding filler) is just one take at solving those remaining requests at a more affordable price. Feedback from here unanimously suggests new lights and I agree but, even with wholesale purchase pricing, it's difficult to see how decent lights are going to come in any less than $140 fitted, but we'll have to see.
Ian B is offline   Reply With Quote