View Single Post
Old 03-23-2008, 09:42 AM   #6
TacticalRider
No Road, No Problem

Oddometer: 10
I passed through that area last July on my ride on the way back from riding the Dempster hwy. There are no issues finding fuel along the way if you get more than 250km (155 miles) on a tank. Fill up often and you should not have any problems. After 6PM it can become an issue as some places close up early. Even with the big 33liter tank on my GSA I still filled up every 300 or so km`s to force me to take a rest. I rode back down with a couple of guy on Harley’s and they had no problems with fuel even though they had considerable less range. They stopped every 160 to 200 miles for gas along the Alaska Hwy.

If you are planning on staying in Waston Lake in a motel then book in advance. I got into Watson Lake and got the last room on that night. Watson Lake was the only place that I had an issue finding a place to stay for the night. I suggest the Air Force Lodge in Watson Lake (867-536-2890), it clean and cheap.

The roads last year were in good shape but there were a number of sections under construction. I don`t think that there was anything that a rider with experience riding on dirt roads would have trouble with.

The scenery through Banff is spectacular but the traffic is crazy. Riding back south thought the park after having the roads to myself for days on end was a shocker. Lots of tourists in rental cars not paying attention to where they are going, you have to be extra carful.

When you are coming back down from Alaska take the Stewart Cassiar Hwy (Hwy 37).

If you have any questions let me know and I`ll try and help you out.