View Single Post
Old 04-05-2008, 05:16 AM   #776
TimberlineAdventure
Maine Thumpah

Oddometer: 380
VintageMxr....

Great write up, I couldn't agree with you more. For instance, my brother just bought a 08 Honda XR650L last week, complete with fake air scoops & graphics that turn my stomach. And who designs these bikes now, they are just plain ugly. I also, have been looking at bikes for about a year to replace the stable that you see in this picture. I will still ride these on occasion, but they will be more garage candy and vintage rides than the daily rides they have been for a decade.

Name:  March 2008 A 068.jpg
Views: 3266
Size:  105.6 KB

I think that the XT's here fit some of your bill, but I just couldn't bring my self to sell any of them in order to finance the next bike. They simply just dont make them like this anymore. Push a button today, and the bike starts.... a far cry from getting thrown over the handlebars because the 500 decided it wasn't time to start. Inverted forks, Brembro brakes, HYD bits and pieces... all nice, but it doesn't give the bike soul. I literally can spend an hour in my garage just staring at my bikes. And I couldn't agree with you more, that the polished aluminium tanks of the 70's will never be re-created on a mx'r. I think the XT500 Tank is the most beautiful tank ever created for a dirt bike.... I, however.. with three torn discs in my back, and the fact that I am getting tired of kicking over those beasts 30-40 times, while standing in deep mud on a steep incline have decided to buy a 2008 Husky 610TE, which I believe gives you everything you want on a modern bike, but doesn't give you the junk that reminds you it is new. In my opinion, it is one of the few modern bikes that doesn't scream for attention, more of a sleeper with little graphics & just the essential equipment. I guess, similar to a Ducati Monster... Again, great write up!!

Husqvarna '08 TE-610 Front Fork Thread Only
http://rickramsey.net/TE610mods.htm

TimberlineAdventure screwed with this post 04-05-2008 at 05:21 AM
TimberlineAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote