View Single Post
Old 04-09-2008, 10:55 AM   #15
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMIL
Pretty good article. Having a little hitchhiking experience, I would never pitch in for gas. You can always just get out and wait for another ride that doesn't need money from you. Also eggs are a good travel food if you have a stove (or a flat hot rock).
Eggs, good idea. I carry hard-boiled eggs with me when I'll only be on the road for a few days.

As for hitchhiking, I cringe when you say you'd "never pitch in for gas." My first reaction was being frugal doesn't give you license to be a cheap bastard. Wouldn't you want to offer something to someone who helped you out when you asked?

I've never formally hitchhiked, though I've taken unsolicited rides from people on a number of occasions. I've sometimes offered gas money, and sometimes not. My limited experience shows that most people will decline the offer.

I've picked up about 20 hitchhikers in my lifetime. A couple have offered gas money. And five or six of them have asked me for money or other things. (In light of another thread in JM, I should point out that "other things" means material stuff, like one guy wanted to 'borrow' my gloves.)

Perhaps if I had more hitchhiking experience, I might better understand, but why would you "never pitch in for gas"? In some less developed countries, for example, it's standard practice that you give the driver the same as bus fare or a taxi ride for the same distance.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way

Jamie Z screwed with this post 04-09-2008 at 10:12 PM
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote