View Single Post
Old 04-20-2008, 05:24 PM   #7
2uprtw OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
OK, this next part requires a bit of explanation. After our stay in Todos Santos we decided to go to Coban and then onwards to Languin where there is a great natural river that flows under and over some mineral deposits. I want to state for the record that my offroad experience is really limited. I'm talking a one day offroad course and a few kilometers in some trails back home (I took a spill). I had never ridden in mud before let alone 2up fully (and I mean fully) loaded.

So the road started off real nice and was paved for most of the way, except for the last 28 kilometers prior to getting into Coban. I knew we were in for a rough time the minute we saw the construction equipment. The muddy road led up the side of a mountain at a steep angle and was only wide enough for one vehicle. To make matters worse the rain was intense to the point that I had to raise my visor to be able to see where I was going. Because of the rain we could not take any pics but I'm happy to say we didn't fall (we saved that for a few days later).

We eventually got to Coban and then Languin near which is the river I mentioned....

And a little closer...

This is what the bike looked like from the previous ride...

And the bridge to get to the site. By the time I was halfway across a bus showed up coming in the opposite direction but instead of waiting for me to cross he forced me to back up....

Feeling confident that we were now able to navigate dirt roads a little better (ignorance is bliss) we decided to make our way to the north of the country by taking a road that we were told was difficult and not always passable. Like the road to Coban, this one started out well despite the fact that it was gravel. After about 35 kilometers of this we came upon (once again) some construction.
"The road is only under construction for the first 5 kilometers", we were told. So off we went and about 35 kilometers into some of the nastiest road I had ever driven we took a nasty spill. Despite having the bike fall on my foot, nothing was broken except my pride and my confidence (which I got back in Costa Rica, but more on that later). This shot was taken moments after the fall...

More later, gotta go eat......
2uprtw is offline   Reply With Quote