Old 05-13-2008, 04:59 PM   #57
SafariBerg OP
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsra
gday all,

i must say excellent reading..
just wondering if anyone thinks it might be a good idea to add an oil cooler to an 07 650FE? i ride in fairly tight tracks, occasionally in 40 deg plus temps.

also, i noticed that the clarke tank has mention of being 17 litres but i can only find a clark tank at 15 litres on google. any idea on this?

thanks

www.useddirtbikes.com.au
My Clarke holds 17 litres stock, measured it several times. I'm going to warm it up and blow it out another couple of litres, should be able to get close to 20 L.

The only off the shelf oil cooler that I have seen is the Joe Racer one. It is vulnerable to damage, I did a motor in last years Safari due to damage to the oil cooler. Since then I have not run one and all seems fine with around 13,000 km of rallye racing across 3 different bikes (all '07 or '08 FE650's) with no oil cooler. So I'm not looking at using one for now.

To me the critical thing is the oil.

Run Motul 300V Factoryline 15w50 double ester oil and you should be fine.

It's the best there is for Bergs, it has been designed for rallye racing and is unlike any other oil you will find.

Even when my oil cooler broke and the engine went it was only the big end that failed due to the drop in oil pressure, the rest of the motor was like brand new after 3,000km of rallye racing.

For tight hot work the KTM/HBG radiator fan would be more useful I think.