Old 05-27-2008, 11:43 AM   #82
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by levity
you're a resource, Robert!

naive questions:

I know one can generate routes and vias directly on the GPS unit. Can you create them on a PC (or Mac) and then down load and save them to the XOG? This would be much easier.

Also, can you import .gpx files to the XOG? How, and what conversion do you use?
I make routes on Delorme Software, I just convert the route I make in Delorme Topo to a GPS file and save it, then convert the Delorme "gpl" file to a USR file with GPS BABEL.
You can import "gpx" files into the XOG but they do not all work, as GPX files are quite large so it is not the best method, it is best to convert them with the for-mentioned GPS BABEL ( free program ) to the Lowrance "usr" file format, and load all your "usr" files on the the SD card and just load them as needed into the XOG.
I like "TRACKS" better than "ROUTES" as I don't need turn by turn directions for off-road rides, and when I am on the street I just let the XOG route me.
Just make sure you set your active track to a contrasting color from the track you are following, very simple to just follow the dotted line

rwamf homepage
rwamf is online now   Reply With Quote