Thread: The Mobius Trip
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 11:42 AM   #164
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Push to Liberal

This was supposed to be an easier day after yesterday's long slog in the wind. Well, for the most part, we were on packed gravel / dirt:

Rest stop

And we could wick it up a bit

But as the day wore on, we started to get into more and more sand, and the wind picked up, and we (I) underestimated how far we had to go to get to Liberal.

This was the mental aspect of the trip, and can't be underestimated. Look, I'm not complaining, but we were tired, sore, hungry, sun-baked, wind-burned, and just wanted to get there.

We had started the day saying that if we couldn't make it all the way to Liberal that we would just stop and get there in the morning. At a certain point, though, it became clear that there wasn't really any convenient place to stop, and we were committed to getting all the way there.

And this was in fair weather... imagine if it had been raining, or cold, or sweltering hot... yikes.

Right here is about where I got yelled at, followed by the silent treatment for claiming we'd be there in 20 miles, 30 miles ago when we actually had about 50 to go....

"HOW MUCH MORE OF THIS SAND IS THERE????

MY SHOULDER IS KILLING ME!!!"
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote