Thread: The Mobius Trip
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2008, 07:59 AM   #254
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Rain, rain go away...

or, "Be careful what you wish for."

Sometime around 3-4AM, we both had to redistribute the evening's beverages. We scurried to the bathroom, and it was still pouring, and starting to get colder.

We put on all our clothes (not a whole heck of a lot), and crawled back into the sleeping bags. We were warm, dry, and cozy. But really not looking forward to breaking camp in the rain, and starting the day riding wet.

The plan for the next day was to ride nice forest service roads from out of Angel Fire through the Carson National forest. That was looking less and less likely. I had tried to tune in the weather radio for the previous two evenings, and hadn't been able to get a signal. What we didn't know is that this storm system was dumping rain all over, and snow at higher elevations.

I turn on the GPS, and in the dark, start scrolling around using the topo maps to check what elevation we're at, (7500ft), and how high we'd have to go to get across the range (two passes: 8400ft to Eagle Nest, then 9100ft to get to Taos which is at 6900ft).

I drifted back to sleep just hoping we could wait it out, and maybe it would stop.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote