View Single Post
Old 06-29-2008, 07:25 PM   #82
Neubz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by password?

I'm an ex-road racer now, though My Doc, who is highly rated rekons, that after recovery and extensive rebuilding of all the wasted muscle, that track riding will be okay. I asked about damaging the hip if I happened to have a big or nasty off, and he said dislocation was probably the worst thing that could occur, and if I broke the bone, it all could be put back together without too much more trouble than if it was a virgin bone How many superbike or gp riders damage their hips? I can't remember in the past of ever hearing of such an injury.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not going to wrap myself in cotton wool.... I'm going to get out there (when strong) and play!

I had a total hip replacement done about a year and a half ago after a head on crash on a KLR. I'm 29. Since then, I've used bicycling as my primary means of getting my atrophied leg back in shape. Last week I was in a fast bicycle accident (some other cyclist riding fifteen feet ahead of me lost control of his bike and swerved into a wall, taking himself out, at which point his bike flew into the path and took me out). I fell hard right on my hip and slid. I laid there for a minute without moving, assuming my hip was now fully messed up again. But after a minute, no pain came, and I slowly popped right up on my feet. I got a sweet bruise on my hip where the metal crushed the vessels and I was sore for a few days, but nothing worse came of it. It gave me a lot of hope for the strength of these things. However, I have a metal prosthesis, and I've heard two stories of similar accidents that have shattered ceramic prosthetics, so keep that in mind. But from now on my motorcycle ATGATT will certainly have generous amounts of hip armor.

"The subframe bolts have sheared off? No, we don't have any replacements. Perhaps some chicken wire will do the job?"
Neubz is offline   Reply With Quote