View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 08:04 PM   #42
Hektoglider OP
Expedition Style ADV

Oddometer: 2,499
Inuvik

Ok so we have made it...its way up here in the top end of Canada, Inuvik.It was pretty incredible riding all the way here from just above the Minnesota border on the KLR.The crossing into Yukon, then NWT and riding down into the Beaufort Delta was something I will never forget.The weather was perfect, allowing us to see for miles from the high sections of the Dempster.The first thing on my mind was an accurate forecast, and the report was that there is no rain in sight for many days.Sounds great! I can handle relaxing uo here for a few days.

The campground is walking distance into town and is first rate. Nice clean showerhouse, and wooden tent pads are a nice touch.

In the north, all the sewer and water is above ground.

I went around the community and was looking for a nice souvineer without dropping too much cash.The touristy stuff like the fleece pullovers with the Northwest Territories logo were fetching upwards of $60. I stumbled upon a yard sale and got an authentic G'witchin Tribal Coucil sweater, a t-shirt with a Dene -Inuvik logo for 1$ each, plus they were giving away potato salad and shrimp salads. Sounds good!

I also saw some big tundra equipment that is mostly parked in the summer.