View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 08:22 PM   #70
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
North on Graham Island

I ride north on 16 and the poor weather breaks and the sun comes out. The ride up from Skidegate to Tlell is awesome with the ocean on the right.

I roll onwards to Port Clements, heading inland for a ways.
I stop at the museum chatting it up with the locals who seem a lot friendlier here on the Island than on the mainland. Everybody IS laid back and not in a rush, so I immediately do likewise and chat as long as the conversation will carry itself. Chatting up with the locals is kind of like fishing in a way....you never know whats going to come of it.
The Island has a great logging history and its still going on over on the other side of the Island.

I stop in at the tourist info center in Masset on my way to the northern end of Graham Island. I am at mile ď0Ē of the Yellowhead Highway, and I walk into the small tourist info building. There is an older man there and I am guessing he is a Haida native, I tell him I want to go up onto the beach up there and relax for the weekend, does he know any good spots. I hear you can ride on the beach at low tide.

Thatís right he says you can zoom up there 5 or 7 kmís past the campground and find great places to camp and plenty of driftwood for firewood. In fact go and use the cabin. Nobody really uses it, it has a woodstove and some bunks. I ask him if its ok and he re-assures me that they only really use it for some school class trips from time to time.

Wow! I consult the tide table and see the low tide is occurring right now. I gotta get going. I ride north along the road and get to the campground. Thatís Tow Hill I am approaching.

I stop there to fill up my solar shower at the water spigot. As I am strapping it on the back of the bike some other campers engage in small talk and I reply that I am heading up to the cottage for the weekend.

I ride around the backside of Tow Hill on the road and the onto the beach.
The beach is very hard and some high speeds are possible. This is the type of stuff I wanna do while on the IslandsÖ.yea!(Tow Hill visible way back there)