View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 09:46 PM   #72
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Clam diggers/Renell Sound

The Haida locals call out as they approach the cabin. I was wondering what will take place next. They ask if there is room in the cabin and I reply yes!

They bring in some blankets and their supplies and we exchange greetings. They are from a nearby town and are up here to dig for razor clams. They say that the tide will be perfect for it at 5 in the morning. I open a can of beans, a can of mushrooms that was on the shelf from when I arrived and a can of click. From this we are all able to have a light supper and the Haida tell me myth and mythology tails from there local legends .It was a great evening listening to these two talking and getting the local angle on things.

In the morning at 5 they get up and go digging. I have coffee and then walk out onto the beach and realize they traveled far up the beach to where the best harvest is. I missed out on the dig, but am getting an early start on my day. I take my time and load all my stuff on the KLR, and am about ready to go when the diggers get back and tell me they had a successful morning and they are gonna have a nap while they let the clams soak for a few hours.

I head into Masset and tour around a bit and then ride down to Port Clements. The gas station has a sign, sorry no fuel. I have no choice, I am going to the backside of the Island on the dirt roads to Rennel Sound, and I figure I can do it on the fuel I got.

Hitch Hikers Chair

Renell Sound
No pics from the ride down there, but its a cool dirt road going through the logging country and theres a steep hill that drops down near the end.

I can't beleive the great campsites.Table, firewood and great location.

Mountain stream entering the ocean(fresh water)

Low tide photo while fishing saltwater species

Solar shower heating up in the sun....

Life is good.