View Single Post
Old 07-28-2008, 08:56 AM   #15
Josephvman OP
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin
You have to place best selling in some kind of context. BMW has about 1.2% of the US market and struggles to sell bikes in the tens of thousands over here. 1.3 tens of thousands to be exact for the last year they released figures. So a bike that sells a few thousand a year for them isn't that big of a seller if it does not sell in the UK and EC markets which the Chromeheads did not.

I did place it in a context, best-selling BMW in the U.S. market, which incidently is the biggest market in the world for virtually every car/motorcycle/luxury good manufacturer. If I'm off base then maybe someone can explain the marketing brilliance of abandoning the biggest motorcycle segment in the world's biggest market! In fact, BMW's biggest bump in sales in North America came with the introduction of bikes in two huge market segments that they had previously ignored, the cruiser and luxury tourer (R1200C and K1200LT). A few thousand sales a year, by your figures, would be nearly a third of their North American sales, enough to easily put it in the top few models in popularity.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote