View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008, 05:39 AM   #84
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTL
A bolt is broken off on the right exhaust manifold flange. It is difficult to get to, because of the frame is in the way. It has been that way since I purchased the bike, but it did not seem to be leaking so I just wired the flange down so it would not rattle. But today, I noticed a rat tat tat tat sound and I THINK I saw the exhaust pipe vibrating away from the manifold (just a few thousands). I am now starting to worry that the exhaust may etch a grove in the aluminum cylinder head.

So…..I think it is time to make this repair. At first I thought best way is to remove the engine and have a local machine shop drill it out.

But after looking at it again, I think I might try first with a left hand drill bit. It will require removing the exhaust manifold, wheel and shocks, so that I can drill it straight. Has anyone else had this problem or know of a better fix….other then buying a new cylinder head!
Get an EZ-Out. You need to be carefull and make sure you dont walk the drill off the bolt and into the AL head. It will chew up the head in a hearbeat. I had one of mine strip out a while back so I put thread inserts in all of them. It's much stronger, and it helps with corrosion since it's steel on steel now instead of steel on AL. I also use a healthy dose of Anti-Sieze just in case.
You may need to pull the head. It would be very dificult to get to the holes near the frame.
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote