View Single Post
Old 10-04-2008, 01:59 AM   #1
momi20 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Suzuki DR 350 a ride to Italy-Russia-Kazhakistan-Kirgyzstan-Uzbekistan

HellÚ everybody , my name is Maurizio (aka Momi), i live in Italy and this year i bought a Suzuki DR 350, my first motorcycle. Since I was young I just had driven a scooter, Vespa PX 125 all around West Europe
In 2006 I was for 3 weeks in Alaska in the north on Noatak River by canoe, and 1 week in the south, in the Kenai peninsula, where I rented a little motorbike, a Yamaha 225 XT, driving for 1000 miles.

In 2007, during my trip in South Asia ( Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia and Thailand) I rented for some days little motorcycles ( 100 cc ) doing some little trips.

So during winter 2008 I began to plan a vacation on motorbike.
Place: i want to arrive to Samarcanda (Uzbekistan), I donít really know why
How: crossing Russia and formers Soviet Republic

First the motorcycle. I really donít understand nothing about mechanical problems ( just put petrol, check oil and tyre pressure): so I need of a strong and reliable motorcycle. A little more big than the Yamaha 225 XT, but I went to some shops and I understood that 600 cc or more are to big for my experience.
Simple: in these countries could be difficult find spare parts or assistance for really new kind of motorcycle.
The DR 350 appeared to be good:
  • Electronics : just ignition
  • Engine: four stroke, single cylinder
  • Weight: just 130 kg ( 286 pounds)
  • Low fuel consumption: around 28ų30 km/lt ( 17,5ų18,5 miles/0,22 gallon)
On internet I found a good bargain: year 1999, just 8000 km ( around 5000 miles) price 1500 Ä ( 2000 $).
I bougth on february . A mechanic that work in a Suzuki shop and has the same motorcycle prepared my DR with special tank: 16 liters (3,52 gallons), and so I have a range around 450 km ( 280 miles).
I bought lateral stiff bags and prepared myself a back roof rack.
I started on 19 of july and my plane was to reach Samarcanda in Uzbekistan crossing Russia, Kazahkistan and Kirghigistan .

3 days before the start

my technical equipment

the night before

the route

Go

Cracovia (Poland)

Lithuania

a really particular camping near the border with Latvia

breakfast with the owner

Latvia

itís the afternoon of the fourth day and I reached the Latvia-Russia border

Russia !!!!!