View Single Post
Old 10-23-2008, 07:43 PM   #1
skibum_1260 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Yamaha forks on a BMW F650GS Dakar

Got alot of interest on this so ill try and post what i can remember about doing the upgrade. For starters heres a pick. The forks i used were off of a YZ426f, came with triple clamps, brake caliper and then picked up an excel wheel all for 250 bucks! Put in a heavier weight oil and then the heaviest springs i could find for the forks, new seals of course. The main two issues i remember having(did this last winter) were i had to machine the stock yamaha steering stem down about .010" for one of the bmw steering bearings, the other one fit like a glove! Also i had to trim the inside of the fairing so i could swing the forks without rubbing anything on the inside, and i also think i had to do somethin for the fork stops to work also. But let me know if you have any more questions and ill try and get some better picks once i wash my bike, its covered in a pile of mud right now! But i measured the weight difference of the two it was about 15lbs savings, the new ones were a bit longer then that dakar forks, but handles like a new bike now, and the front end feels so light and no more bottoming out!

skibum_1260 screwed with this post 12-06-2010 at 11:33 AM
skibum_1260 is offline   Reply With Quote