View Single Post
Old 10-30-2008, 06:54 PM   #35
SocalRob OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman
what's wrong with unloading it before you lift it?

I would unload it first. I'm lazy and see no reason why I should lift an extra 30-60 pounds of stuff when I don't have to (even if I can).

// marc
Of course its easier to lift unloaded, I was seeing if I could lift it loaded, which is the worst case. However, if you are on a truly crappy stretch of road and are dropping the bike multiple times, unloading, lifting, reloading, dropping, repeat, repeat . . . can not only be time consuming and exhausting, it may well push you into bad judgement exhaustion, especially at altitude. I may need to work out my lifting technique, but my original picture in the snow, I did indeed remove the top box and was still not succeeding in getting the bike up prior to the trucker coming along. I had not given up by a long shot, but I was mighty happy to get a helping hand.

If you had to use the jack in mud, I think it would normally be possible to find rocks/plant branches or something solid to put under the jack base to make it workable. If the mud is too loose for that, I'm thinking you have way more problems than standing the bike up (I've been in knee deep soft mud, no fun). Remember too, if you carry a bit of rope you can rig this thing as a come-a-long to drag the bike out.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote