View Single Post
Old 11-15-2008, 05:55 AM   #9
alfonso-lanka
Mercator

Oddometer: 9
GPS mapsfor Ladakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratkes
I am looking for mapping that I can put onto a Garmin Zumo for the Ladakh region of India. I have got the wanderlust mapping on my computer but when you check it against it would appear not to be too accurate.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
I don't know if you have alreay gone on your trip or not yet, but there are not yet any detailed maps available. That's why I have made a series of maps myself (and am still making them). The whole of Ladakh (and north of Leh up to the border with China & Pakistan. And down to HP, including most of Lahaul and the whole of Spiti Valley, further throuth Sutlej Valley up to Shimla. These are more or less ready and reasonable calibrated.
I found that some areas, for which I have satellite imagery, are NOT very accurately calibrated. Apparently the coordinates on the images (from Google and Wikimapia) are wrong when I compare them with actual GPS tracklogs taken. But even if you're half an inch 'off-the-road', the actual road is quite perfectly paralel to the one on the maps. So quite useable.

I will visit the area described extensively next July/August to make the necessary corrections, but meanwhile you can have a copy of the maps.

However, they are NOT made for Garmin. So you will have to use a PC software (like the free Trackmaker on www.gpstm.com) to create your own routes and POIS and theN upload these into your Garmin.

If you have a windows-bsed PDA or smartphone with Ozi Explorer, which is what I am using, you can directly use the maps on your device.

Alfonso
alfonso-lanka is offline   Reply With Quote