View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008, 10:56 PM   #41
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla
Hi Mike. I tried playing with the track draw tool, I traced a 12 kilometre twisty bit of dirt road, and it musta put 200 plus points/dots in there. For twisty stuff, to stay on track, that's pretty limiting as far as distance goes. I found I could drop points on the track and it used a lot less points per kilometre but just seems to straight-line the track, no good in twisties with lots of sidetracks.
I think part of my problem is that the offroad mapping available doesn't support autorouting. Otherwise I could place points at either end and a few at important turns and be done with it. I'm not sure of how to use tracks more efficiently and stay on-track, so routes may be more appropriate for what I'm playing with.
I have a 200 kilometre ride to do, and I'm thinking I may need to do it as a route to follow, and log it as a track while riding it to get an accurate stay-on-the-trail set of data.
Gotta love this learning curve.
Are you doing what I did at first with the track draw tool - holding the left mouse button down as you trace your path? That was driving me nuts until I asked here and figured it out. You can just move along your intended path and click to drop points as needed to follow the curves accurately. Or is this what you mean by "drop points on the track"?
Just straight line the parts that are straight anyway and add a bunch of points to the curves
Since you said your maps don't support autoroutiing but you talked about "do it as a route to follow" I guess you mean an off-road route (straight lines between points). In that situation I still think it's far better to draw a track to follow. An off road route is gonna be just like a track only with less points and it will give you a general idea of which way to the next point. I'd rather follow a track.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote