View Single Post
Old 12-04-2008, 11:14 AM   #765
Motor31
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by lascsteve
I'm thinking of getting a .30 M1 Carbine from the CMP. Anybody got one? What's your opinion of it? Ammo availibility/cost ? Accuracy?
If you are getting a CMP gun I'd recommend the Garand rather than the carbine. The ammo for the carbine isn't all that plentiful compared to 30-06. You really have only one loading and that's a 110 grain slug of whatever flavor (ball, hp or sp) there is. It's not really cheap stuff now. It's not known for accuracy or effectiveness in the field. It was a replacement for a pistol so you could hit something at farther than touching range.

The carbine is a hoot to shoot and does have some history if you already own the Garand. It's great for smaller folks to shoot and is handy but given a choice of a M1 Carbine or even an SKS and I'd go with the SKS. Far better round and just as handy.

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote