Thread: Hawai'i
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2008, 06:02 PM   #45
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 2,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by benis12
Looking to rent a bike (thinking Big Kahuna Rentals, since I'll be staying in Waikiki) and am wondering if anyone has any good ideas for daytrip rides.

Anything I should absolutely not miss out on? Any good multi-destination daytrips? Any nice alternatives to the Kam highway?

Mahalo!

Ben
Ben-

As passed to other ADVriders:

Oahu is pretty small, you could base out of Town (Waikiki) and day ride the whole place in six hours. To break it up look for vacation rentals in Kailua for one night and ride the windward side, then another vacation on the North Shore (Pupukea, Sunset, Haleiwa) and cruise country oughta be some significant surf.

When in town Tantalus Drive is a must, twisty Supermoto heaven, watch out for wet corners though, on the west side see if you can get a ride through Kolekole Pass (you can also get there through Schofield Barracks) it's way worth it awesome views and nice twisties, on the north shore Pupukea is a nice ride up into the hills, from Kailua take the Pali Hwy towards town, just after the Kamehameha Hwy merge take a right and ride the old Pali Road or turn left at the intersection and ride through Maunawili, from downtown Honolulu go up the Pali Hwy and turn right onto the Nuuanu Pali Road (again watch out for wet corners), the H-3 from/to Kaneohe is just Hwy but nice views especially heading windward, the circle island tour past Koko Head and Honauma Bay along the coast to Sandy Beach is sweet, continue on to Makapuu and Sea Life Park.

Please head the wet corners advice, I learned the hard way too many times as a n00b on my '79 RD400F.....

Enjoy your stay!!!!

PS: You could possibly do the Super Ferry to Maui for a day ride.

Enjoy your stay, spend Tons of $$$$, and don't get caught in the wrong hunt on Hotel Street!!!