I love my 2001 naked Bandit 1200 - best touring rig I've ever had. I did a 3000 mile tour last month - Oakland, Ca to Baja / Anza Borrego Desert / Vegas / Death Valley / etc... including a good bit of dirt. I held my own with a KLR-riding friend through Titus Canyon, Death Valley. If you've never been, this is an old, 30-some mile, dual-track mining road - complete with slot canyons, loose gravel, washboard, etc. El Bandito, and all her gear, held up perfectly.
My favorite touring gear for this bike, in no particular order:
- SW-Motech side racks w/ Caribou [Pelican] cases
- Renntec rear rack w/ JC Whitney case [cheap and effective]
- Magnetic tank bag w/ map pocket
- Highway pegs on Motech engine guards
- Hot Grips heated grips & a Widder vest
- Monster wireless/waterproof iPod remote mounted to handlebar
- Hayabusa rear shock & racetech fork springs
- Aerostich Roadcrafter 2-piece suit
- MSR Hubba Hubba tent, Marmot down sleeping bag, MSR Whisperlite Internationale stove, and a good first aid kit.
- Lots of extra fuel - Primus 1.5 liter bottles [the Bandit doesn't exactly have the best range - especially if you've richened up the mix
Titus Canyon - Death Valley, California [Thanks for the pic, Rob]
Yes, that's a Miller High Life bottle opener attached to my license plate - one important piece of touring gear I forgot to mention [Highway Patrol loves it].
Between Tijuana and Ensenada - Baja California, Mexico
Eastern San Diego County, Ca - ...no, I was not riding in shorts - just giving the boys a breather.