View Single Post
Old 01-24-2009, 05:09 PM   #37
MeRide
Me like bikes!

Oddometer: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown
"MeRide to the white courtesy phone, please...MeRide to the white courtesy phone..."

Sorry. I'd probably get the story messed up if I tried to go into detail. MeRide is thinking of ways to kill me right now.

Oh boy.....someone has been posting classified photos again

SlipChip had it right. Its an engine valve being turned in a lathe. The third photo posted on the first page of this thread is the bike its going in. Restoration time. That bike was raced from 1967-1972 in Top Fuel class.

So, back in the day there weren't catalogs full of parts to buy for drag bikes. It was experimentation and lots of custom work. The racer that built that bike (the guy leaning over it in the photo) wanted big valves. More nitromethane and air in the more power. He bought used Manley stainless steel valves that the Top Fuel dragster racers burnt in their Chrysler 426 Hemi engines turned them down to 2 1/16" intake and 1 15/16" exhaust then cut down the stem length and recut the stems for the keepers. So, the same thing was done for the ongoing restoration. Lots of effort to make the resotration accurate and correct even though they'll never been seen.

Fall ride on a 1935 motorsickle
MeRide is offline   Reply With Quote