I took about 10 measurements from each bike before I took anything apart. Seat height, swingarm angle and stuff like that.
Getting the swingarm set up:
At this point the major hurdle was figuring out how to mount the shock and linkage. It took me a few weeks of fiddling to figure it out. The Bandit is a perimeter frame that is very symetrical and the CR500 looks like they sat a motor on a bench and started bending tube until they had a bike. This made it tough to set up the back since there are some optical illusions going on as the donor is different side to side and the shock is slightly offset. The CR has seen a few major crashes in its day so that didn't help since the subframe was tweaked among other things.