View Single Post
Old 02-12-2009, 12:55 PM   #13
KullZilla
Work Hard, Play Harder

Oddometer: 97
No problem.

In my opinion, Dainese's bread and butter are its leathers and track gear. The Dainese textile's are certainly nice, but they are pricey! I think it is hard for them to compete with REV'IT (or anyone for that matter) in the textile category.

Right now I have the Dainese Odessa Gore-Tex Pants and the Drake Air Textile Pants sitting in front of me, Ill start with the Odessa's.

The Odessa's are a cold weather pant. Comparable at 379.99 to the REV'IT Dakar or Cayenne Pro Pants. One big immediate difference is the use of Goretex in the Odessa's to give it a 100% waterproof outer shell. In all of their pants, REV'IT uses a 3 layer system and waterproofing is gained through a removable waterproof membrane. The Cayenne Pro's have better protection through the use of Superfabric and SAS-TAC armor. The Dainese armor is nice (and provides good coverage extending down the shin) but SAS-TEC is going to be higher quality. It is probably on par with the Pro-Life used in the Dakar Pants. The Odessa's have a removable thermal liner, which feels on par with the Dupont Thermolite used in the Dakars, but not as thin and nice as the Exkin liner used in Cayenne Pro's. The Odessa's do not have any venting, so warm weather use is going to very limited. There is plenty of venting for warm weather riding on both the Dakar and Cayenne Pro Pants.

You can see a writeup on Odessa Pants by a fellow inmate on his blog -> PACWIT 5-Way Shootout

I know you did not ask about the Dakar / Cayenne Pro Pants but I had the Odessa's sitting here so figured it would be a useful comparison for someone out there ;)

The Drake Air Textile Pants ($249.99) are a summer textile pant with big mesh panels above and below the knees. It is going to compete with the Mistral, Turbine or Rotor Pants. At a price point slightly more expensive then the Mistral Pants (239.99), the Mistrals get the edge as far as functionality goes. There is no waterproofing in the Drakes, while the Mistrals provide a wind/waterproof later. Functionality wise the Drake's are comparable to the Rotor Pants. Armor quality is going to be similar between the Rotors, Mistrals and Drakes, but protection is where the Turbine Pants shine. The Turbines are the most expensive in the lot but all that extra money is going towards SAS-TEC and Superfabric and higher quality mesh.

So bottom line:

Summer mesh pant and weather protection is not a concern => Rotors (169.99)

Summer Mesh Pant and you need waterproofing => Mistrals (239.99)

Summer Mesh Pant and protection is the most important metric => Turbine (329.99)

Summer Mesh Pant and you need a Dainese logo => Drake Air (249.99)

We are actually relaunching our website in the next 2 weeks. One of the goals of that is to be able to provide more useful and relevant information to our customers so I agree 100% we need this type of information on there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovd
Finally, I get it! Thanks a bunch! One last question before I drive you completely nuts: how would you compare each of these pants to which Dainese pants and how they stand up in comparison? I'm pretty sure I'm going to order something this week, just need to make sure I'm buying the right thing.

Guys, you should consider putting all this info with the description of articles on your web site. I mean, seriously, look at the site: all pants look-a-like, only price differs, material used description is "slightly" different (just a mention of key technology names) and that's it! Armor used, for example: until you mentioned it I had no idea what CE level the pants have.

KullZilla screwed with this post Today at 08:45 AM Reason: Updating
KullZilla is offline   Reply With Quote