View Single Post
Old 03-05-2009, 06:33 PM   #809
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,852
Fork swap suggestions

Has anyone considered the forks from the Suzuki DRZ400.

I have had a special steering stem made to be able to use these forks on my Transalp/Africa Twin hybrid. Purchase of the DR750 has put this project temporarily on hold until I can afford the SM disc conversion and front brake mastercylinder and brake line. I have the forks, front wheel,axle and brake caliper.

I have a DRZ400 and like the front forks. They have huge (49mm) tubes and are a conventional (not USD) design. I still prefer a conventional fork. I have never felt the need for a fork brace using these forks. They are damper rod forks (after 2002) and have compression and rebound adjusters. They are available on US ebay quite often for reasonable prices.

Looking at the front wheels of the DR750 and DRZ400 I see some family traits. I don't know about axle diameters and steering head bearing sizes but I'd bet a swap would be within reason. One would most likely have to graft the triple clamps from the DRZ onto the DR frame since the DRZ fork tubes are too large to allow use of the stock DR clamps.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote