View Single Post
Old 04-08-2009, 06:15 PM   #62
YZman OP
Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer: 1,121
So todays project is removal of the sludge trap plug. I was really dreading this as I have heard horror stories about the removal of this. I did some reading online on some of the aproaches for removal and planed my attack.

A quick trip to sears and my tool box netted me a 3/4 cold chisel and a 5/8 impact socket. Total cost $1.50

1st thing this morning when I got to work I cut the chisel down to size on our chop saw. Tool steel is some tough stuff

Then stuck a magnet to the end

And poped it into my 5/8 socket (magnet keeps it from falling out of the socket)

Then snaped that onto my hand impact driver

Then I went about grinding the tip of the chisel to fit into the sludge trap plug and ended up with this

I lightly drilled out the 2 peaned areas of the plug, put in my tool and beat the hell outta it...... and it went no where.

So I got out the BFH and really wailed the piss outta it.... the result...Sucess!!

So for now the trap is soaking in PB Blaster. Im going to shop for a large ez-out tomorrow as I hear this is a good way to get a grab on the trap and pull it out. Oh and I removed the retaining bolt as well. That bugger was in there as well. But I got it.

So thats it for now.

YZman screwed with this post 04-08-2009 at 08:13 PM
YZman is offline   Reply With Quote