View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009, 01:13 PM   #1584
Richard-NL
Sidecar Fan

Oddometer: 1,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by halflive
hoi Richard
triggered by this picture i did some research on outback welding (and having a K75 outfit). battery welding was new to me and seemed a good resque method. 24 volts is not to much, you realy want 36 volts or 3 batteries. when you're an experienced welder it's possible with 24 volts but hard to keep a good arc. judging from the weld on this K100, this was an experienced welder
the technics: 3 large batteries in series with stout wires and vice clamps, two jumper cables and a piece of eye protection. 1/8 or 3,25mm rods will do the job. http://www.lcool.org/technical/80_se...y_welding.html

now it's just a case of traveling with 2 other BMW's or Guzzi's in case your frame would break
Hey Arjan, nice to see you here. Although more Dutchies will scare the hell out of some people.

Yep, unknown with DC welding what so ever, I only knew, what you just now wrote here above. I find it intriging as well. Never done it.

My question was more about the picture shown by Chris. Can you see where the + or – goes on the frame. I don’t . (in DC welding the plus should go on the frame in stead of the negative pole, so I understood.)

Hopefully Chris will explain something more about this “field practice”. Would be great. I also agree, the person in the pic must be a experienced welder getting the arch right with only 24 Volts.

Richard-NL

Richard-NL screwed with this post 04-16-2009 at 01:19 PM
Richard-NL is offline   Reply With Quote