View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009, 02:56 PM   #1585
Erik RS
Three Wheel Maniac

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard-NL
...My question was more about the picture shown by Chris. Can you see where the + or – goes on the frame. I don’t . (in DC welding the plus should go on the frame in stead of the negative pole, so I understood.) ....Richard-NL
As far as I can tell, the remark in the 4wd-article is incorrect. Norm for DC-rod (normal rods) welding is positive to the rod. This gives an arc that enters deeper into the material. They probably confuse it with DC-tig welding,where indeed the tungsten rod is wired negative, or else all heat would go into the torch.
It's a well-known trick though (for instance for first layers in pipes and thin material) to wire the rod to negative to have more control of the bath (colder)
As for the 24V. The biggest problem is the ignition of the arc. Rutile rods ignite at a lower voltage than their basoic (is that the right word in English?) counterparts, who usually need at least 40+ V to ignite properly.

I'm sure I'm gonna try it one day and see if and how it works, but am for the moment amazed with the quality of the weld in the picture. Hats off for this emergency rescue

Xtankteam™

Proud sponsor of the Sibirsky Extreme Project
Erik RS is offline   Reply With Quote