View Single Post
Old 04-25-2009, 11:04 PM   #128
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,231
Pardon if I've posted something like this here already. I keep adding things to the bike and the list of things to be done all the time! Not that it needs a lot of attention, but let's just say I'm a bit obsessive.

Here is the 1983 XL that I rode across the USA from NC-WA, then XR-ified:
In my new Pacific NW driveway:

Next to a friend's "re-issue" classic-styled triumph scrambler:

After a re-ride of the Portland Alley Sweeper "Urban Enduro" :

-1998 XR600 engine with the original '83 dual carb head fitted
-FMF stainless exhaust ("stainless" my arse!)
-XR forks with XR650L upper triple clamp for key ignition, custom mounting brackets and "custom" steering lock hammer bashing to get it to work with the XL frame (a little friendly persuasion of the steering lock tabs to make them align just enough! )
-custom-made raising link in the rear
-custom made nylon chain slider (new OEM ones cost $60USD! At best!)
-I extended the kickstand and made a new slightly larger foot for the end (not shown)
-XR350 front fender
-custom-built rack by myself, with another better similar one to follow soon.
-XRs only temperature gauge dipstick. Need a different arrangement, not only is oil leaking into the gauge face, bit there is a typo! There is no apostrophe in the plural form of "XR"! Something with a remote thermocouple from a plug-welded threaded adapter in the oil reservoir up to a backlit gauge on the dash would kick some ass!
-Renthal handle bars
-modded spitfire windshield with a new sheet of Lexan to be custom molded soon. The first "mod" to the windshield done by my slippery Anakees plus the sandy Los Angeles trails, the "fine tuning" done in Fully Geed's garage in the bay area a little firther along on my trip!
-Coming soon: 1mm oversize Wiseco 9:1 forged piston!

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote