View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 10:09 AM   #121
BoochZilla OP
Metal.Moto.Mania.

Oddometer: 761
REV'IT! Hot Weather Options

Hey Matt,

That's great that you are easing your wife into the sport. Fun. My wife has had enough as a passenger and now wants to start riding herself. I can't wait.

On to the gear...

Great Questions - Both sets of gear are 100% hot weather specific and the only item in the gear you mentioned with a weatherproof detachable liner is the Turbine Pants. Both jackets and the Rotor pants are single layer mesh/textile composite items. From a warmth perspective, you can extend the use of these pieces past just the summer weather by wearing a windblocking base layer under them. I never have a problem here in Philly in early spring or mid fall as long as I can buffer the flow of air with a base layer.

Also all of the mentioned gear comes in both men's and women's specific sized models with the exception of the Rotor which is a unisex sized pant.

The big difference in the outfits are the protection factors. The REV'IT! Air Jacket and Rotor Pant combo is a medium range / medium price option. Its up to snuff compared normal REV'IT! quality and the armor is CE1 Knox. I personally have an Air Jacket and love it for ripping around town during the hot weather.

The Turbine Jacket & Pants combo is in another league compared to just about everything on the market. It is meant to be the most bombproof and protective hot season gear available. The big upgrades are the use of Dynax Mesh, which is more durable and abrasion resistant than REV'IT!'s normal mesh. They also use Pro-Life (CE2) Armor. Also Superfabric is used on the elbow and knees for added protection on high-impact areas. The styling of the Turbine outfit is also a bit more refined than the Air and Rotor combo.

It may be overkill for a passenger, but it depends on your wife's tastes and what level of protection you are looking for.

In the sport touring / adv space you have womens alternatives in Olympia Motorcycle Gear. There is also Fieldsheer, Firstgear & Tourmaster - they are styled differently but IMO not as nice as the REV'IT! stuff.

You can also hit our Womens ADV Motorcycle Gear Section and narrow from there to see a wider selection of brands.

Let me know what else I could offer.

Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherGoose

The wife finally wants to start riding on day trips with me. Looking at Rev'it gear (of course). The product offering for intro textile jackets is a little confusing. I think I've narrowed it down to either the Air jacket with the rotor pants or the Turbine jacket and pants combo. I don't really understand the differences between the Air and the turbine if the turbine doesn't offer a waterproof layer. Why should I choose one vs. the other? Keep in mind this is passenger gear for summer day trips so although waterproof liner would be nice it is by no means necessary.

Does your wife ride? If so what gear is she using?

Rev'it aside, is there any other brands I should be considering? I like the Rev'it brand but if she doesn't like the "looks" of the options I choose for here I'd like to have a backup plan.

'10 Multistrada 1200
'05 Monster S2R
BoochZilla is offline   Reply With Quote