View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 03:18 PM   #1557
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut
In this case, a steering damper simply masks the problem of far too much high-speed-compression-damping in the front forks. Spend your money on revavled forks rather than steering damper.

That's my opinion, for what's it's worth!
MotoSteve,

Aeronaut and I both agree that the stock forks have too much High Speed compression dampening. The steering damper will mask this a bit. In an ideal world I'd have two (or more) rides and would have already sent my forks off to be re-valved. Sadly I'm down to one bike and don't want to miss any riding season hence my choice to bolt on the damper and keep riding until the snow flies.

The damper will aid handling in ways that suspension set up alone won't. Tracking across any object you may encounter especially ruts and railroad tracks, plus keeping the back end inline under hard braking and aiding in overall stability at speed.

All said the first step should always be to set your Sag and get your suspension working as best it can prior to adding the damper. I'm going about it a bit backwards by choice. Once I have the down time to do the forks I'll likely remove the damper when setting them up again.
nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote