View Single Post
Old 05-16-2009, 12:30 PM   #137
Jeffy's Avatar
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: SF - East Bay
Oddometer: 5,416

Miles Crouch's Triumph Spitfire with Ford 2.3 Turbo Engine

as published in British V8 Newsletter, Volume XV Issue 2, September 2007

Owner: Miles Crouch
City: Atlanta GA
Model: 1979 Triumph Spitfire
Engine: Ford 2.3 turbo inline four-cylinder engine
Conversion performed by: Owner

Engine: the engine is from an SVO Mustang. It's been balanced and blue-printed, and the head has been ported by Boport. Wiseco pistons. Chevy 5.7" rods. I have adapted the 4g63 oil jets from a Mitsubishi engine into the Ford 2.3 block to cool the pistons better.
Induction: custom intake with a 75mm throttle body, 96lb injectors, water methenol injection, and an 1100cfm intercooler.
Engine Electrical: SDS engine management, using the Ford factory harness.
Cooling: big block radiator. It stays cool and can sit all day in traffic with no problem.
Exhaust: 3.5" down-pipe off the turbo into a pulse chamber. I made the exhaust by taking 1.5" pipe and cutting it in two, then using a 7 inch flat steel to connect the two halves of the 1.5" pipe. This will give a little more than the 3.5" pipe and great ground clearance. Supertrapp muffler.
Transmission: Performance Automatic C-4 3 speed with transmission brake and 1/1 final drive ratio. 3000rpm stall, 9" torque converter. Custom driveshaft with 2 safety loops.
Rear Axle: narrowed 9" Ford, with limited slip differential, 2.75:1 ratio, and 28 spline axles.
Front Suspension: custom air-ride suspension. I made my own A-arms and used Mustang II front spindles. Grand National shocks. Factory Spitfire rack and tie-rod ends.
Rear Suspension: 4-link and Panhard bar, with airbags and camaro shocks.
Brakes: four wheel disk.
Wheels: 15" Prostar Street and Drag aluminum.
Chassis: factory Spitfire frame supplemented with a full rollcage. The 4-link structure runs rocker-to-rocker and was tied into the old factory frame for the conversion. Trust me, the car goes straight out of the hole and this is important.
Body: Frenched antenna. Ford rear wing.
Electrical: more room for gauges and I made a new wire harness that had more than 3 grounds and a few fuses.
Performance: as originally set up, we did 511 at the wheels with 29psi and 116 octane. 93 octane @ 23 psi with water methenol made 348 rwhp. We're working on a new set-up that should be better.
Weight: between 1950 and 2000lbs.
Miles Driven: thousands... to Montgomery AL and everywhere around Atlanta. No trailer queen here!
Comments: all the work was done by myself except rebuilding the turbo and the transmission. This car is making over 500hp at the wheels with race gas. I have to get an NHRA driver's license now because it was too fast on the track! There are many other mods, but those are the main ones.

"I'm going to shift gears now.... This will involve man touching." - Jeremy Clarkson
Jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote