View Single Post
Old 05-22-2009, 05:00 AM   #8
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by alma1992
There seems to be a ton of info for the Illinois portion. I hope the other states are as plentiful.
Unfortunately, I think Illinois may be the best-maintained portion of the MRT.

Illinois is a long state. I can't expect someone to route the whole thing. Whatever parts you can route are good with me.

The easiest way, in my opinion, is to travel the route and make a GPS waypoint at any significant points. A good rule of thumb is to mark all the MRT signs. Occasionally though, you'll find corners which aren't signed. In those cases, a waypoint at that corner, even without a sign, is appropriate. Just be doubly sure that the MRT does, in fact, go that way.

In other cases, you might find numerous MRT signs on a relatively short stretch of road. In those cases, it's not necessary to mark every sign.

If you send me a GPX of all the marks, eventually I can put together a route of the entire state, given contributions by other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c
I would like to contribute information from Missouri.

Do you want us to research the route....enter it into.... lets say TOPO7....ride the route then send you the file?
Great!

In my opinion, the only sure way to map the route is by riding it. As I mentioned in the first post, I've found a handful of discrepancies between the description of the route online and what I've found on the road.

On the other hand, if someone has already done the legwork and posted a route online, and it looks reputable, I have no problem using that information.

The easiest way for everyone involved, I think, is to send a GPX of the waypoints along the route. Just mark all the turns. From there it should be a simple task of putting them all together in order in a route. That makes it a easy to combine waypoints from a couple different contributors.

Thanks for the effort, guys! I've got Tennessee nearly complete, I just have to put it all together.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is online now   Reply With Quote