Old 05-27-2009, 05:57 PM   #1197
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,320
Treking with BMW oem X-laced wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfio
Hi,

I have an '08 GS Adv I am planning to do a long trip to central and south America next year with my wife and some heavy luggage of course.
Do you think it is necessary or useful to put stronger spokes in my wheels?

Thanks,
Emiliano
Emiliano,,
es mui importante,, to have reliability,,,durability and what works best on the terrain you will be covering...

the reliability and durability are the easy part for me,,,

FYI: the oem /stock wheels are a well thought out design,,,what makes them better and more durable is making sure that the spokes are all seated/set and tightend to spec before you go,,,you do NOT want loose/unseated spokes because the hammering they will receive will loosen the spökes and i know of no one out here that will be of assistance,,i say this because we have bailed out numerous souls venturing to Alaska and points south !!!,,doing that runs circa $150-200/wheel depending on how corroded the nipples are.

the Superlaced beefy 8g ss spokes and nipples are another improvement/upgrade over the oem,the beefy 8g ss spokes added to ss nipples that won't corrode/rust are what we use for super heavy loads and competition .

what i would seriously consider is going to a 21'' front wheel,,many serious round the world tourers convert to them because 21''tires are easier to get and less expensive where you will be heading
Most importantly,,, they just handle the dirt ,,,sand ,,,mud much better ,,,there are enough posts out there confirming the marked improvement in the handling department,,,keep the air pressure somewhere between 32-38psi and you are in good shape,,,OBTW,,,these wheels can be buildt BMW tubeless X-laced style using rims of the R100GS/PD in silver or black OR we can Superlace n true a nice 1.85x21 Excel rim with my Monzter spoke technique

pics will follow if you need some,,

woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 05-28-2009 at 04:41 AM
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote