View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 08:10 AM   #11046
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head
Yeah, new spokes. Simple.

2 broken spokes in the 32 hole world = weak wheel.

One of the things I miss from the good old days are real pro-bike shops. Places that could thread a spoke to length for you, and usually just fixed the wheel instead of giving you the spokes because they were fast, and didn't trust you to mess with a wheel.

Nothing like a grumpy old racer working on your bike. Bitching about you hitting potholes instead of riding around them. Swearing at you in a thick Dutch accent...

Later, once he figures out you rode 40 miles to his shop on your way to a 120 mile workout, just to slobber over the campy SR toys behind the glass, he brings out the wooden rims he used to race on cobbled roads of Europe. Then the stories come, and an afternoon and way too much espresso passes your lips. A shop, where the smell of old metal, oil and grese mix with the creaks and groans of the aged hardwood floor. Most of the light is provided by skylights, filtered through dusty old racing bikes hung in the wooden truss rafters.
I have not found REI to be too full of old school know-how.
This is my first dealings with them regarding doing any work on a bike. It is also my last.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote