View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 08:42 PM   #77
Nemosengineer
Hair Ball

Oddometer: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude
And then there was Floyd 'POP' Dreyer who built a caster wheel for the sidecar that just kinda followed along. Bugger to roll backwqards though
Claude, I don't know why I like this idea so much, elegant in its simplicity, but as we all know, the Devil is in the details. As I "roll" the caster wheel around in my head, I can visualize really interesting weight transfer issues when turning left at speed, the pivot for caster wheel would mean that the rig would have a variable track, working in your favor as the track would be narrower turning right and wider turning left, if an inclined pivot on the vertical axis of the caster wheel (left and right rotation) was used, the wheel would have less of a tendency to tuck under when side loaded as in a left turn. I also have visions of the one spastic caster wheel on the front of a shopping cart...
Do you have any more information as to how well (or not...) this idea worked as I am fascinated by this idea.