View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009, 06:36 PM   #101
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo DeNovo
I'm sorry to change the subject somewhat, but I want to throw this out there and see what you all think of this idea of mine. I've been thinking of this for years, since the days when we used to play with stock cars. We were always looking for an advantage that hadn't been outlawed yet, and I never had the chance to try this one out.

I've seen alot of you hack purists making a big thing over sway bars. I thought of a way to do the same thing with pneumatics and make it fully adjustable, even so far as to enable left or right turn preload. I think this would be easily applied to hack rigs, and may make roll control much more easily installed than with a steel bar.

Picture 2 hydraulic cylinders installed like shocks. The lines attached independantly from the bottom port on one cylinder to the top port on the other and vice-versa. Then charge these separate lines with air or high pressure gas. As long as the pressure remains the same in both lines, the rig would remain level. But if the rig tries to lean, it will load the top of the outside cylinder which will transfer pressure to the bottom of the inside cylinder....pulling that side down.

If large diameter lines were used so gas flow was not restricted no effect would be felt when both wheels encounter the same bumps, because as one side's top was compressed it would feed the other side's bottom as it retracted. This setup would only operate when there is a difference from one side to the other. Increasing the gas pressure would have the same effect as increasing the thickness/stiffness of a sway bar. And in the case of oval track racing, one side could be given higher pressure to preload for cornering.

I don't know if this has ever been tried, but I have no doubt that it would work. My knowledge of hydraulics tells me that the best choice of cylinders would be ones with the smallest possible rods in comparison to cylinder diameter, to keep the differential as small as possible. I don't have the $$ or the facilities to build a setup to test this, but I bet Richard or some of you other "well connected" FF's can find a willing and worthy test bed for this. I want a ride report, that might be a billion dollar patent I just gave away

Looks like we came out of the same stock car school. We tried something very similar many many years ago. 2 year suspension from the sport Young and stupid.