Triumph Scrambler

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by danger_dave, May 29, 2006.

1. Beach40

Beach40 Banned

Oddometer:
    Any chance of some before and after pictures of the illumination difference?

I'm leaning towards the SV650 headlight. There seems to be a lot of them available at wreckers and they are quite cheap.
  2. Gormley Green

Gormley Green Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Good luck with the 4th....:freaky
  3. Simon Smith

Simon Smith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry, didn't take any before pics, but will try and get a side by side pic with a standard one if I remember to take a camera to club meets.

The light output is not only bright white instead of dull yellow, but the beam is better too which would indicate that the filaments are not positioned correctly in the cheap standard bulbs.
  4. satcen

satcen Been here awhile

Oddometer:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:HyphenationZone>21</w:HyphenationZone> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:595.3pt 841.9pt; margin:70.85pt 70.85pt 70.85pt 70.85pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Normální tabulka"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Well guys, the original light is „not ideal“ – no discussion about it. But don´t you think that using SV 650 light (or whatever light with modern clear glass and not bullet-shaped body) destroys the nicely balanced vintage styling of Scrambler? For me personally SV 650 is not the option. But I liked the light relay option (if it helps) together with effective bulb.<o:p></o:p>
  5. ChrisLX200

ChrisLX200 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't bother with the relay (sorry, but sounds like BS to me) however the PIAA bulb will make a significant difference. I fit HID to my Tiger and that is effective.
  6. ivara

ivara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try running your car lights thru the dashboard switch instead of the relay...
  7. BiganDaft

BiganDaft Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What I've done is used 2 LED Solice lights from these guys http://www.visionxusa.com/ the frontal size of the light is 2 inch square.
    I mounted them on each side of the head light using the bolts that hold the head light in position. I wired them into the headlight using the main beam as the power source,. these units only draw 0.7 amps, and the light from them is fantastic.
    When I have a gap I'll post some photos
  8. Simon Smith

Simon Smith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Landrovers don't use a relay in the headlamp circuit, and everyone says fitting them makes the world of difference. I tried it on my previous defender and used nice big cables straight from the battery, it made no difference at all:cry

So I fitted some decent bulbs (not the piaa ones) and was amazed at the difference. Removed the relays and they stayed the same.

If the manufacturer has sized the wiring and the switches correctly and you use standard wattage bulbs, relays are unnecessary IMHO.
  9. ChrisLX200

ChrisLX200 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    and that's got what to do with it?

The bike wiring is designed and specified to carry the necessary current (and more) without overheating, as are the contacts. Now, lets be generous and offer you a 1volt increase by replacing all the headlight wiring with heavier gauge cable plus the extra relay. That would equate to around 8% increase in voltage which, ignoring the losses induced by extra heat generation rather than light output, being wildly optimistic might give you 8% more light output from the already pathetic 55w yellow bulb. You think you'll notice that? You think that will be a 'night and day' improvement? I don't think so.

With far less effort you can replace the bulb with a PIAA and get effectively double the output.

The claims are not backed up by any facts or any real data. In fact, bullshit.
  10. wiseanhyzer

wiseanhyzer Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3

I am using a PIAA bulb and it's much whiter and brighter than the stock one. I don't do much riding at night. Even in broad daylight, the PIAA bulb is very bright and noticeable for traffic.

Here is the bulb I am using: LINK

I think the stock lens still sucks, but this bulb is an improvement for sure.
  11. Beach40

Beach40 Banned

Oddometer:
    I might give the intense PIAA bulb a go as I just don't have time to chase down a unit from the wrecker and change it over, if they ship to Oz.

While I would like to keep the general look of the Scrambler, I'm that attached to it. I seem to recall someone on here doing the SV650 light conversion and it looked ok.

Another reason is when I start heading down bush tracks the bike is going to get dropped. When that happens I don't want to be up for a Triumph headlight unit. :D
  12. wiseanhyzer

wiseanhyzer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found my PIAA bulb on ebay for considerably less than retail. You may want to have a look there.
  13. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I really wonder how a clutch basket can be wrecked if the clutch cover isnt ground through to the clutch basket. 500+ for a clutch basket and all,I guess dealers like to stay busy.
  14. Fire Escape

Fire Escape Long timer

Oddometer:

Thank you! It might not be the ultimate solution but knowing that the whiter bulb is an improvement makes that the first place that I will try.

I expect that while everything is still relatively new and clean (switch, connectors, etc.) there may not be a big improvement with the relay ..... yet, probably something to think about in the long run, particularly after seeing how quickly some parts of the bike have begun to oxidize (sounds so much better than RUST!). A reflector and lens designed for something other than to provide lighting similar to that of the old, Lucas (they weren't called "Prince Of Darkness" for no reason) equipped, Meriden built, machines would be the best improvement but I believe that it has already been found that nothing good will fit the existing shell.

Bruce
  15. wiseanhyzer

wiseanhyzer Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's too bad there is no improvement for the stock lens. It's an odd size. I find that the low beam lights up the road in front of me very well at night. At dusk and dawn, I use my low beam. The high beam puts out more light, but it seems so scattered. Oh well...
  16. regnock

regnock WunderLINQ Developer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    We had to work out a way to mount them to the bike. Only the main loops and the brackets that connect the Pelican cases to them were from M-S. They don't have mount on brackets for the Scrambler, their concern is that a passenger couldn't ride with them on. As far as I know the only bolt on system is Metal Mule and their pricey.
  17. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    I agree.
    No wonder insurance continues to go through the roof.

People fall over with their full coverage ins, take it in and viola!, instant big number$ damage to brag about.

Between the crotch rocket geeks and the "I don't touch it' squad, who loses out on insurance rates?
    All of us.

Fix your own bike and learn!
    You'll learn how to work on your bike and not want to drop it the next time... :deal
  18. Gormley Green

Gormley Green Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok finally ready to go! Tank bag, Ventura pack and rack system, engine guards, skid plate, fishing rod tube, and 800km break in oil change done! Going for 1500-2000km ride and camp around Ontario this weekend over 4 days with an 81 cb750k and a 04 Bonny.

Pics will follow.
  19. goodcat8

goodcat8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Im used to my DR650 that has really good ground clearance but still have drug pegs on it.
    The Scrambler seems to drag before Its even leaned over much but thats probably part of its charm,its no sport bike after all.