The Perfect Thumper ?? Tell us Why Your bike is Da Bomb

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Thatdog, Apr 24, 2012.

1. go gonzo

go gonzo The Mustard of Pants

Oddometer:
    My perfect thumper weighs 200lb, produces 100HP and 100ft-lb of torque, and will last 1,000,000 miles.
  2. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
  3. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll start by saying the very worst thumper I ever owned was a BSA B50 MX. I even tried to race it once at Sears Point. I was lapped by Dick Mann who was riding the same bike. What a pile that thing was. Purty, though.

30 years later I bought a MuZ 660 Street Moto. :raabia
    Probably an all time great bike for me.
    [​IMG]

She was very handy to ride. Very smooth at any speed under 85 and super flickable. Power was awesome. Pulled like a big twin up to about 60. Beautiful parts too. Gramica brakes, WP shock, Marzocchi forks. The only neg was a 3.2 gal tank. 130 range is all she had. 110mph top speed. I only sold her last spring. :cry

Next was this Yam WR250R. I needed something lighter to do the CDR solo. Jeez, what a sweetheart. Took me awhile to get used to the power delivery, though. I thought it was a scooter at first. None of that MuZ pop off the bottom. But I warmed to her after s few k miles. Then I got more adventurous with her, even doing some single track and rocky creek beds. Her best was the Camp Creek Wash in North Scottsdale. 13 miles of desert drainage dropping 1700 feet. It took 3 attempts, but after mounting new Michelin T63's we did it in under 30 minutes. Meanwhile she is electric smooth and cruises at 70 effortlessly:
    [​IMG]

The MuZ and the WR smite me. I decided to sell my trusty KTM 950 and buy the latest and greatest thumper ever built.
    [​IMG]

I'll report on how it worked out...
  4. _CJ

_CJ Sitting on pins and needles

Oddometer:
    My bike is da bomb, because it's the first bike I've ever owned or ridden.
    It's da bomb because I was able to buy a manual and teach myself to tune it up and work on it in one weekend.
    It's da bomb because I'm able to go out and ride it on dirt with virtually no experience (other than riding / racing mountain bikes).
    It's da bomb because it only cost me $1500.00 and will probably last longer than I do.
    Only thing I wish it had that it doesn't is a magic button.

[​IMG]
  5. jessepitt

jessepitt Ride More

Oddometer:
    My DR350. Its not perfect but it does pretty well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think for me the DR650 is the perfect all-rounder. Its just so smooth.

[​IMG]
  6. Thatdog

Thatdog Hickster

Oddometer:
    Stop breathing the LA SMOG :lol3 its making you delusional :huh

Thanks everyone for your input - this is exactly how I wanted this thread to transpire.

I like the input on the TE610/630, it was a bike I considered before I purchased my 690. Bike really looks great

With all the Beemer threads - Im surprised more of those enthusiasts arent stepping up. Please add fellas - we like your bikes too. And for those Beem guys that have added - still waiting for pics (only really have the one crazy dude showing us how to wheelie a challenge)
  7. FinnDuro

FinnDuro Winter wonderlanding

Oddometer:
    Well OK, then.
    I use this beemer to pester the local flock of 690 enduristas, all running the same old orangetans.

It's pretty heavily customised and exactly tuned for me, by me - and that's why it's the perfect one. I call it the Xchallenge R.

[​IMG]
  8. Johnnyboxer

Johnnyboxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    There ain't a perfect thumper..........................so I have 2 here in the UK

This

[​IMG]

and also this

[​IMG]

The Xchallenge is a fantastic bike, good fuelling/good power/pretty good chassis/crap seat, but good ergos -perfect for riding to and from the trails or longer trips

I have the XR250R for deep winter trailriding in snow or on tight single track or woods, where lightness is your friend. It has adequate power and a great trailriding chassis

So there you have it:clap
  9. 100mpg

100mpg Self Imposed Exile

Oddometer:
    2002 XR650L.
    Its paid for.
  10. LexLeroy

LexLeroy Socially Distant

Oddometer:
    Perfect it ain't, but here in Kentucky it's way better than OK. Highway at 70 mph to get to decent riding and then get home for dinner? It can do it. Gnarly washed out jeep trails in the Daniel Boone National Forest? It can do that too, although my sphincter gets a bit tight. Plus there's thousands of pages on this site on how to make it better. And did I mention that the XR650L is pretty cheap and low tech? Removes a lot of the guilt and risk inherent in home-made "upgrades."

[​IMG]
  11. Woundflatout

Woundflatout Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://finnduro.com/xchallenge/images/finnduroX3.jpg

That is one fine looking XChallenge! Very sweet.

For me the ultimate is my new 690 Enduro R.

Splits the difference between my 450 and 990 both of which are with new owners. I can outfit the thing to tour, or ride tighter, gnarlier stuff than comfortable on the 990...perfect!
  12. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    My girlfriend tells me thumpers are more fun on the pavement and that if I don't believe her I can take hers for a ride and find out for myself..:evil

[​IMG]
  13. Barman

Barman Way Offline

Oddometer:
    This page needs more orange. :bert
    Todays photo.

[​IMG]
  14. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oooo, That is an R fore sure :nod
  15. 2Stamp

2Stamp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My first and only thumper is my WR250R I picked up back in January. So far I've had it down to Moab which was a lot of fun. Took it on the slick rock trail and was amazed. Got my a$$ handed to me a few times but tthats my riding abilities fault not the bike. I can see how a lighter bike could be a bit funner but this one works for me, so far. :D
  16. 4corners14

4corners14 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Finally got it plated after 4 years of hanging on to it. Just installed the Desert tank, waiting for the petcocks to show up. 245lbs with 60-65 HP. Should be decent on the street, I've had it in the hills, it will go anywhere, many more places than my skill set will allow.:lol3 Can't wait to go exploring on it. At least I can pick it up. Sometimes I can't get the 990 back on it's feet without a hand. :clap Not that kind of hand. You know what I mean! Does anybody know how to put a kickstand on this thing?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. go gonzo

go gonzo The Mustard of Pants

Oddometer:
    Not the smog, the Palomas.

2 oz tequila blanco (silver)
    Juice of half a lime
    3 oz grapefruit juice*
    3 oz soda water*
    pinch salt
    Lime wedge, for garnish

*You can substitute these two ingredients for Squirt Soda.
  18. Thatdog

Thatdog Hickster

Oddometer:
    That Thar is a down right sexy beast
    Nice choices

Thanks for the added Beems - especially the Challenges. Id have to say that to date those are my fav of the Beem line - the 450X was nice, always wanted to ride one. Too bad they only made the 6fitty for a short time. My riding buddy picked one up for a song and I was able to put some miles on it on one of our rides. It really changed my perception on BMW - I really really enjoyed that bike. It was one of my considerations when I went shopping for a new steed - but when they stopped making them, I kinda lost that love. It didnt change the feeling I have about them - but felt that they swept it under the rug and turned their back on a great bike. I wouldnt hesitate to pick up one for a great deal if it crossed my path thou - Would have to have some rear pegs (like my 690R) to bring my wife along for some adventures

I am really impressed with the response to this thread - couldnt ask for a better bunch of bike choices. Keep em coming
  19. Johnnyboxer

Johnnyboxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    The single year of production in 2007, hasn't put me off and other bikes have come along since 2007 (KTM 690e)

BMW will support for over 20 years and there are plenty of work arounds, the 690e came later and has more power, for a similar weight but what it loses perhaps is 'perceived' longevity and overall reliability in some quarters

For me the XChallenge does a fine job
  20. Thatdog

Thatdog Hickster

Oddometer:
    Good to know and it does add an incentive for looking for one. Of course I bought a 690R to tide me over - but at least I get to ride one once in awhile. :lol3

I do find the 2 bikes very compareable - but the KTM excels in more areas for me.

[​IMG]