New Honda 1200 V4 CrossTourer!!!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Two Plugs, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Carl Down Under

Carl Down Under Aussiwican

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kCpYldePiD0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  2. JNRobert

JNRobert Breaking Wind

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't be too difficult to have a new seat made to your specs and not cost an arm and a leg :dunno
  3. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    There have been a few reports back from pillions that they actually like being able to see over, rather than tilting sideways.

Maybe Honda actually got some feedback from pillions. It's probably not going to be a big deal if they are up 50mm higher anyway, unless you are running in a GP or the Dakar.

For those people they may have more to worry about than the pillion seat. :deal
  4. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't see any significant difference in pillion "step heights" for the current group of big adventure bikes. For one reason or other, the days of totally flat seats went away with the Suzuki GS850G back in the seventies.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- Mark
  5. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are right - Well dang me :huh

[edit] No they didn't. I had a 1981 Honda with a flat seat. :deal

Why doesn't any one notice these things?
  6. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Makes me wonder whether he made a move while they were waiting for the shoot to begin, and here she's making a point.

More generally, I've been surprised over the years at how little attention the makers seem to pay to the passenger side of their bikes. Almost as though no-one in the PR department rides pillion or carries one.

Ducati's two-up shots for the Multistrada are appalling.

[​IMG]

It is obvious that they didn't add enough preload to the shock, electric adjustment notwithstanding, or that the adjustment didn't do the trick - just as likely, as it is widely reported the stock spring is too soft for two.

[​IMG]

As for Guzzi:

[​IMG]
  7. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I've owned a lot of tourers and sport tourers but hands down the best pillion bike is my Road King. If you're buying for yourself get the Crosstourer, if you're buying for the missus, get the Harley :freaky
  8. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    It may be that pillion seats are higher because of the design compromises necessary to get a bike with both good ground clearance, enough leg room, and a low seat height for the pilot.

Bike designers are incredibly motivated to try and keep seat heights down as half the target market is (unduly, in my opinion) influenced by how a bike sits in the showroom and everything being equal, they will always gravitate to the bike with lower seat height. A step also provides a more secure feel to the buyer, again all-important in that showroom sit test. That the pillion gets perched up at an uncomfortable height that is non-optimal for handling is seldom considered in the purchase decision.

Personally, I like bikes with flat seats you can move around on. But I'm not vertically challenged.

I will say that of all the big adventure bikes currently being sold, the one that is the flattest and least "cupped" (and therefore the least likely to lock you into a single seating position) is the S10. And I find the seat very comfortable. I also like the easy way you can change heights (take off pilot seat and move a rubber spacer) - I put it in the up position for long pavement drones where I want more legroom and put it in the down position for dirt/gravel where I'm more worried about a drop. I also like the way the S10 passenger seat works with the stock luggage rack to create a nice flat platform for stowing gear lengthwise, torpedo style, with multiple/well-placed/rugged tie-down points for Rok straps. Or, with a small modification to the passenger grab rails, you can remove the passenger seat and remove a spacer block that lowers the luggage rack to a height that creates a level loading platform that is a good 3" lower. All in all, the most flexible and comfortable seating/luggage system I've seen on any bike.

I recently did a 650-mile day on my S10 and concluded it is decidely more comfortable than my FJR. It has its faults, but so far, I haven't seen anything that can touch it in its ability to grind off huge-mile days on the slab and then be able to "pick you way through" on gnarly forest service roads.

- Mark
  9. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agree with that. But as you said, unless the "salesperson" knows that and unless the buyer can see that and knows what that is good, you get back to seat height.

There are lots of things about the S10 that is well thought out for an ALL ROUND ride. They more you find out the more you appreciate the thought that went into it. Yes there are some dodgy things as well but the "bones" are good.
  10. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Without saying that it is an as good bike as the S10, The 1150GSA is also extremely comfortable for the long haul and the father of the idea of removing the rear seat to create a low flat loading surface.
  11. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, didn't mean to imply that the S10 was the first or only.

- Mark
  12. bingbong

bingbong Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah that's the obvious and simple solution. Even just using an airhawk might make all the difference. In the grand scheme of things it's a small complaint on my part. I keep wandering off to other models looking to see what's next, but I keep coming back to the xtourer. somedays if you lined all the bikes I like up and said 'pick one it's yours' I would be there for about 3 weeks going 'Errrrm, let me just sit on this one again'. :lol3
  13. STROM-CRF450X-990SMT

STROM-CRF450X-990SMT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have brought the bike back from the launch and had Karoo's put on it, got it out for a few shots but am away again covering other events etc. but haven't got out on any semi serious dirt on it yet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. Carl Down Under

Carl Down Under Aussiwican

Oddometer:
    Great shots Trev! Looks mean with those tyres. :evil You'd want a bashplate before hitting the dirt though. Please do let us know how it travels in the dirt.

:D
  15. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Nice pics. Looked at one again today, along with a 1200 Tenere and Tiger.

Very interested in what your thoughts are after putting some dirt under the Karoos.
  16. STROM-CRF450X-990SMT

Oddometer:
    I am eager too, but so crazy busy at the moment. In QLD for ASBK this weekend, then I am meant to be meeting up with some mates for our annual Gingers Creek winter two-night stay and Oxley runs next weekend. After spending the previous 2000km on the Triumph Explorer 1200 then jumping on the CrossTourer to take these shots the nicer feel of the engine off the bottom of the Honda was clear, as was the better shaft/box design of the Triumph. I really do like the Honda donk from a 360-degree perspective, as in riding pleasure wise. Technically and on the dyno the Triumph probably wins, but still the donk in the Triumph failed to move me and give me the jollies like the Honda. The Triumph is stiffer for sure, but luckily seat is good enough to cope. Still I think long distance mile muncher the Honda might have it after doing 2000km on both in quick fashion.

NB: (added after seeing previous post) The Super Tenere, I have never got on with it really, it is fine enough on the road but seems loose and mushy when you push on and off-road it seems to snap the rear out quite wildly at times. I've done plenty of riding on them, and in isolation they are great but when weighed up against the opposition, they are low on my list. But if you never rode anything else and bought one you would be perfectly satisfied.
  17. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Was the shaft difference that noticeable?
  18. STROM-CRF450X-990SMT

Oddometer:
    The Triumph shaft craps on every other one in existence. Driveline lash is non existent, so the whole show is well damped but doesn't feel damped and spongy between engine and rear wheel. Really, really superb, a techincal breakthrough over all comers.
  19. bingbong

bingbong Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's really interesting to hear. No Mago reports have mentioned anything like that. If we could put together all the best bits of these ADV tourers it would be one hell of a bike. :D

Fantastic photo's too. thanks for those.
  20. dodgierogie

dodgierogie Been here awhile

Oddometer: