star tron

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by evanphoto, Jan 14, 2013.

1. henrymartin

henrymartin Mr. Tourguide no more.

Oddometer:
    I've been using it for about two years in anything that is not going to move for a couple of weeks or more. No issues, no water separation to speak of. My snowblower started right up after being used twice last winter, and sat for almost 12 months untouched, outside. I couldn't have done that otherwise.

Home Depot actually sells it cheaper than any other place I saw.
  2. FlySniper

FlySniper Bleh...

Oddometer:
    The wonder-drugs of motorsports! Eh...:poser

I have a Honda Accord that sat for two years (project that never got off the ground), ethanol gas. Went out and jumped it off... Hey! It fired up and ran on the first try. But it sat with a full tank treated with.... Sta-Bil.:evil
  3. FlySniper

FlySniper Bleh...

Oddometer:
    I just checked Star Tron's site... your post is almost a verbatim copy of their page....:lol3

Their page is bullshit.

They claim Star Tron is "pure fuel" while in the next line they claim it's "enzymes"....:huh

There's a big problem with their claims... a huge gaping hole that makes me LOL. No, I'm not going to explain it.

Oh, and...

STAR-TRON! IT'S GOT ENZYMES! :rofl:rofl

<a href="%3Ciframe%20width=" 480"="" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Tbxq0IDqD04" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="">"><a href="%3Ciframe%20width=" 480"="" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Tbxq0IDqD04" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""><iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Tbxq0IDqD04" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="480"></iframe>
  4. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:
    http://www.ridermagazine.com/rider-...e-fuel-stabilizers-and-short-term-storage.htm
    http://mystarbrite.com/startron/
    http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?74862-Anyone-Tried-Star-Tron

I recently read about it in Rider Magazine Feb 2013 page 56. It could be a trick advertisement or good advice.

They said Star Tron is a fuel formed from naturally occuring enzymes and can stabilize gasoline up to two years. It's a fuel so you can't over dose like Stabil. Says it reduces water to harmless, micron-sized droplets and the sugar effect of ethanol is nullified by it's solvent action.

The author snuck in that his buddies at a local BMW dealership told him about it. They had a lot of fuel injection pumps failing at an alarming rate if the bikes were left to sit with old gas for more than 90 days.

It is supposedly available everywhere now.

Oh the article started out with a guy having problems with his concours. Andy said conventional stabilizers and old fuel are hard to burn. They foul the plugs and make the bike run poorly after storage. Thus Star Tron to the rescue.

I guess a few guys here know for sure Ethanol is okay and Star Tron is snake oil.
  5. evanphoto

evanphoto May G-d bless Evel

Oddometer:
    well, i am using it and will figure out my mpg over the life of my bike. every fill up i will keep track of to do this. then, in a while, i will post the mpg i am getting and can compare to those with same bikes and see the difference. until then, use it or die!
  6. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been using the "better" of the Stabil products in small engines and stored bikes but have found that even that treated fuel causes problems from separation in small engines. On chainsaws the carb diaphrams go bad quickly these days. Stihl specifies 89 only for there stuff. Better to just get it all out in an unused engine tank. No idea if Startron works for long term storage. I've tried both of Stabil's products & Seafoam in my Kohler engine on my sawmill & if the 10% fuel sits very long it causes problems with carb & fuel pump.
  7. TwoTiredRiders

TwoTiredRiders Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I switched from Stabil to StarTron with good results about one years ago. Start Tron re activates old fuel and I always am buying a mower or bike that has untreated fuel in it so I pump it out and if it doesn't smell bad I treat it with StarTron and use it. It is a lot better than running questionable fuel, or worse, trying to dispose of it. I'll save it treated in cans to use in the mowers and stuff. I have a small business with lots of small motors so thus is no problem. If fuel has started to smel like varnish I would not treat it but try to dispose of properly.
    I also treat all new fuel purchased that goes into a fuel can. I do not think it is needed to treat new fuel going into a bike that is used frequently.
  8. RNowell

RNowell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another product that works well for me is Sentry gas fuel treatment. After the junk is worked out of your fuel system, the
    results are less dramatic, but still works to prevent problems with water caused by lousy fuel.:D
  9. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is fun.

I do not believe that I've ever experienced the heartbreak that is phase separation in my fuel, but if I do, I know where to go for relief.

Star tron may be great stuff (non-caps so as not to confuse with teh aerosol insulation schtuff), but the lengths of poor behavior folks will go to defend their stance when it comes to this kinda thing never fails to amuse me . . . .

Imainge the exploding craniums if we were actually discussing something of import, like, you know, KLR horsepower.
  10. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Her is the deal, 99% of us have no issues with the ethanol fuel, other than deteriorating fuel lines etc.

So anything you put in will seem to work.

If I ever have phase separated fuel, I will try some star tron, Until then I remain skeptical.

Rod
  11. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer:
    Snake oil allegience, a tribute to clever advertising :deal :rofl
  12. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    I've been known to succumb to a clever advertizing phrase. After all I used to write them.:lol3

To me an "enzyme" works in an organic process, like digesting food? A catalyst might have been a better word to use.

I also don't have many problems with the 10% ethanol. Fuel lines and maybe O-rings but I have been cleaning carbs before they go bad so I've been on top of it. I think the plastic floats may be affected. Again then current ones are only one year old.

I would like to see any comments by anybody who has a back ground in Chemistry and/or independent studies of these kinds of claims. The blubs with the product are pretty useless. And parts people? They are worse than me when it comes to wanting to believe in Free Lunch.

I bought one battle of Star Tron about 5 or 6 years ago. Guess what? I bought it in a boat store. I still have most of that bottle.
  13. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This statement got me doing some research, and everything I found shows that both are indeed Naphtha!!!

Naphtha (CAS # 64742-47-8)

Star Tron (CAS#64742-47-7) has 0.5% "Proprietary Organic Compounds" in addition to the Naphtha

Sta-bil (CAS # 64742-47-8) turns out to be Deodorized Kerosene

So no Sta-bil & Star tron are NOT the same!
  14. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    These fuel additive threads are starting to smell like oil threads!:evil
    I wish someone would "truly unravel" ( my phrasing for using real scientific knowledge combined with pro level wrenching skills) the question of if and how you treat stored 10% fuel to not cause the problems that -YES!- do actually happen to fuel lines filters,fuel pumps,floats,carb. diaphragms,etc..I live where & how I need a chain saw ready to go all the time & that's just one version of the issue of gas storage aside from the seasonal MC one.
    I have now read here & other threads as to how every fuel additive is actually some commonly available "other stuff" such as kerosene,naptha & other various goop. That doesn't mean that "branded cures" don't work but do cost lots more of course.
    HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:earand take your time answering while I run after some STP...
  15. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    Read post #6...... This Vino sat for 8 mos. in NM heat. A 2 stroke 50cc like your saw. 2 kicks and ran great. It's not expensive if you follow the directions! One bottle lasts a really long time when you use a capful. If it works it works. Who cares if it is made from liquified dog poop or whatever?
  16. RideAbout

RideAbout Mentally Retired

Oddometer:
    I have an old Mac 10-10 that sits in my storage shed unused for years at a time. After 5 years of NO use :shog, it recently started on the second pull :happay.... two stroke oil is the only additive in the 5+ year-old gas. :dunno
  17. TwoTiredRiders

TwoTiredRiders Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    RideAbout...I think two stroke oil must stabilize the fuel. I read that on a bottle of two stroke oil one time.
    That's cool about your chain saw starting that easily. My Stihl PRO 026 or whatever it is never starts without a shot of ether. Runs great otherwise. All my other 2T suff starts right up but not that darn saw!
    I use Stabil or startron now even in my 2T fuel just because I worry about shit like that.
    I heard fuel in a plastic jug loses octane rapidly. Not so much in a metal can.
    Wonder if the Stabil and Startron stop that octane loss like they claim too.
  18. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    When we have people bragging about a Mac saw being easy to start its time to head for the fridge...:D Seriously, there is a reason that loggers & farmers pretty much universally walked away from Mac & Homelite saws.
    I was sincere in my saw comments-ask a small engine repair shop what sort of repairs they get these days from 10% fuel. By the same token , Everything that is sold to enhance fuel storage seems to be something common and sort of a "repackage" sort of thing with a new price point? Honest appraisal of what I've read so far here & many other similar threads.
  19. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm certainly no chemist but fail to see how 2 cycle oil stabilizes water in 10% fuels? It sure doesn't prevent issues in my machines & many others. Diaprhagms last way less than in the past.
  20. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer:
    +1 See, it really isn't hard