Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:
    Thanks Q, I actually have a few of those for my lower back, will "experiment" and report my findings..

:D
  2. Queen

Queen Happy Camper

Oddometer:
    Not to get too personal, but I think you might need a little padding between you and the heat source...I understand that guy bits are sensitive. :D
  3. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:
    what's so bad about 2nd degree burns on my frank and beans...?
  4. yater

yater Long timer

Oddometer:
    I posted this at FQ but I've been following the bicycle thread for a long time....here you go:

I had a pretty successful spring season until I suffered an IT band injury just before my last two races. I finished 6th overall in my class (sport 19-29) despite missing a couple of races. I took 2 months off of the bike and decided to give the leg a try in mid-sept. The knee felt good and there was a race the next weekend, so I jumped in without training. I felt like a little girl on the bike but, luckily, there wasn't much climbing. I was able to get the holeshot into the woods and make the other guys ride my race for a while (while I caught my breath)

[​IMG]

Once the trail opened up, I was passed by the strongest two guys...but held on until one flatted. I finished 2nd that race....I was just happy to be riding pain-free again.

[​IMG]

the finish...
    [​IMG]

more...

The tmbra fall series race at Palo Duro canyon (Tx) was two weeks after my first race. I decided that I would get some miles in on the road and spend 2 days/week doing intervals. I hadn't trained in months so the best I could do was get in some anaerobic effort and hope I could get my body ready for the race pace. Palo Duro was absolutely beautiful in late september. Lows were in the high 40s and highs in the high 70s....a nice change from east Texas.

[​IMG]

I was able to hang on to the lead pack from the start. About 8 of us pulled away and kept a nice pace for the first 9 miles or so...then guys started to fade. I was hurting and feeling a little weak peaking the climbs but knew the other guys were too (this is sport class). I stayed in it until there were just three of us off the front. At a poorly marked stream crossing, the guy in 2nd place blew a turn and I pulled around him.

[​IMG]

1st place was occupied by a friend of mine (we'll call him Cozby) and I wanted to give him a run but just didn't have the legs. He beat me by a solid 2 minutes.

1st and 2nd place
    [​IMG]

The food was rockin'
    [​IMG]

more...

<TABLE class=tborder id=post3161 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_3161>After Palo Duro, I had a few weeks to get some riding in and hoped to build some leg for the next race. I passed on a local race because I hate the course. My next race would be the womble classic in Arkansas. I really enjoyed showing up and having no knowledge of the local competition. I didn't recognize anyone on the line so as far as I knew, the race was mine. I pulled away at the start and gapped the field on the 2 mile gravel climb to the single track. I had ridden the womble previously but forgot that the first stretch of singletrack was climbing. I blew up like never before and was passed by 3 guys.

....a few womble pre-ride pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was able to regain my composure (and breath) from the start and picked off 2 of the 3 guys who made it by.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

at mile 9, I caught and passed 1st place....the womble is a tight trail in places and I passed this guy just before 4 miles of bench cut. I'm talking cliff on one side and drop on the other..NO PASSING. We quickly caught two single-speeders and fell into conversation pace. He followed me until the end of the womble. When we were spit out onto the gravel road, he tried a pull (uphill) and failed. When I caught him, he tucked in behind me and I pulled him through a 20mph headwind to the finish. I took the last turn too hot and he ducked inside....beating me by about 1 1/2" (inches)

sprint to finish
    [​IMG]

I was eaten up by the way I handled the last 2 miles and finish. I couldn't stop thinking about what I could have done better. I tried everything...rubbing him into trees, slow burning him on climbs, brake checking....DAMMIT

2nd place
    [​IMG]
    <!-- / message --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2></TD><TD class=alt1 align=right><!-- controls -->[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <!-- / message -->
    <!-- / message -->

The final race of my short fall season was the tmbra xc race at Smithville (Tx). Having been defeated by Cozby (remember him?) at Palo Duro, I heard about it every chance he and his teammates got. I had been on the bike for about 2 months at this point and was feeling confident going into the race weekend.

Smithville starts out with about a mile of ridiculous climbing. The climb (fat chuck's revenge) is a stepped climb, each step more demoralizing. I got to the climb in about 5th position and slowly worked my way through the pack as they hit the wall. I was in 3rd at the top of the climb and had passed Cozby on the last step. I didn't see him again until....

The start
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I actually cleaned the climb on my second lap...but the loose rock made it tough in a crowd
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cozby was hurtin'
    [​IMG]

There was a nice flow after the initial climb. I was riding smoothly in 4th place, on the wheel of 3rd, for most of the race.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I'm riding well, and we hit the "dips" in the last couple of miles of trail. 3rd place dude bobbles a climb and I pass him. I know there are 2.? miles of trail left so I don't press the issue immediately....I made that mistake at wombe, remember? With about a mile left, there is a nice fast downhill. 3rd place dude passes me and starts to hammer. I was thinking I'd let him blow up and ease onto his wheel...when ****ing Cozby flies by and says something about "pedalling like a bitch". I grab Cozby's wheel and hang on for the pull into the staging/finish area. I tuck in behind him and keep an easy spin....the whole time thinking about how I lost at womble (by doing just what Cozby was doing). He pulls me to the last turn and takes it too hot. I ducked inside and beat him in a sprint finish by 1 second. I had forgotten about 3rd place dude and he beat me by 1 second...but this race was about bragging rights. I finished 4th out of 30 and was pretty satisfied.

I'm in the gym these days lifting weights in anticipation of moving up to expert for the spring. I plan to do a couple of marathon races before then so I'll keep you posted.
  5. rthuey

rthuey twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer:
    insanity is not as easy as i make it look
  6. AEIOU

AEIOU Wien ist so herrlich hin

Oddometer:
    thats the 07 model iwanted to get:
    [​IMG]

and the 08 im getting:
    [​IMG]

still like the 07 better but cant get it anywhere !
  7. flip18436572

flip18436572 Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer:
    We want your actual picture also!!!!!
  8. AEIOU

AEIOU Wien ist so herrlich hin

Oddometer:
    didnt have time to pick it up yet
  9. flip18436572

flip18436572 Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer:
    Once you have the bike in your possesion, we want pictures. OK, at least I want pictures.
  10. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
  11. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

M
  12. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    Got Bikes :D
  13. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna say that for 95% of my riding, acting like a cage is a good thing. There IS that 5% tho.

:deal

M
  14. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    I'm kinda keepin an eye out for a road bike for me. That'll make 5 across the top.

Also looking out for a Yak Space Booster-type cargo box. Know of one for sale cheep? :ear

M
  15. Oly

Oly Deadlines whooshing by

Oddometer:
    I stole away for a local trial ride today. :clap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. Wayne Weber

Wayne Weber why are we stopping?

Oddometer:
    Awesome bike shots on this page! cool.

I'm bummin, just got out bid:cry on a 53cm Ciocc Designer 84 frameset on ebay. Oh well, another day.
  17. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap Gruntled and Imperturbable

Oddometer:
    Damn nice riding area Oly. Where is that?
  18. playzNmud

playzNmud I love pedal derby

Oddometer:
    OMG.. I wanna go i wanna go i wanna go... that looks so much like the trails back in Ga - the ONLY thing I miss about Ga....
  19. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Hie thee to CA there young lady!

I'm sure there's LOTS of trails that you can bomb down (and climb up!) where Oly is. :nod

:ricky

M
  20. Oly

Oly Deadlines whooshing by

Oddometer:
    Come on, let's go. Winter is the trail riding season here. :wink:
    Soon all the grass will be green.
    [​IMG]