Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You have a rye sense of humor :1drink
  2. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unless it has change since I applied on line 1 1/2 years ago....I applied a month in advance but was able to set my start date or entrance date to the date I was going to cross. For example I applied on Feb.1 and my permit was to start on March 1
  3. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    ^

This is correct. You input the date of entry as part of the online application process.
  4. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is ok if I don't cross on the exact date I put as long as it is later right?
  5. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Correct. And you can exit before the expiry as well.
  6. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Are you using metric dates?
  7. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Use the Julian calendar. That'll show 'em.
  8. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    He'll no I'm American. I ain't using no foreign measurement system. I only use British Imper...hey wait a second.
  9. gazzaoak

gazzaoak n00b

Oddometer:
    hey guys, I'm finally able to start my long awaited mission to mexico!.:rofl leaving canada first week of may!!!!

i just bought a 2012 bmw f800gs:D and am ready to go with my friend who has a 2012 klr 650.

I'm just wondering about current border crossings and what to think about before coming down. were going to enter through the tijuana border crossing and drive down the baja peninsula to cabo san lucas, than to la paz, take the ferry (how much is the ferry gonna cost in dollars?:ear) tot mazatland and keep south to sayulita where we plan on chilling out for a while.:1drink

so i would be very grateful for any insights and knowledge bombs you may be able to drop. thanks!
  10. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Boy , the pages are adding quickly this week
    Re : Bobloblaw quote : Re: aviation all being done with " Imperial " measurement

Not really Bob, " Imperial " refers to a specific group of weights and measures as defined by an act of the Parliament of Westminster in the 1800s to provide some consistent standards to simplify trade among. member countries of the then existing British Empire .( To be able to compete with continental Europe where the metric system imposed by the French had proven to be a boon to their commerce) The USA was already independent by then , out of "The Empire "and not party to the Imperial System . The USA had shown their independent streak ... and were using the older English units which bear the same names but are not always the same size.
    For some more background see
    www.bartleby.com/65/en/English-u. html
    Have a laugh at how the standard of American units are defined.

This confusing of Imperial and USAmerican measurement is a common mistake made by many . It repeatedly causes grief to some Canadian farmers buying pesticides in the USA and then forget to compensate and recalculate for the different size of gallon and quart .Problems arise also when mixing two- stroke oil from US instructions while pouring gasoline from Imperial Gal . calibrated Jerry cans - or vice versa.

The aeronautical measurements are taken from American examples, I believe as a concession to American pride and recognition of early aviation contributions
    However it is open to confusion if people do not pay close attention, as demonstrated by the Gimli Glider
    Outside the USA fuel trucks which fill planes have delivery pumps calibrated in hektoliters because at the rate they pump a liter or gallon calibration would have the numbers whiz zing by at an invisibly fast and useless rate.On airplane flights I repeatedly hear the flight crew informing the passengers of the flying height in thousands of meters , outside temperature in Celcius.,
    Similarly in the realm of tire it was decided that wheel sizes could be noted in inches even in metric countries . These really are not involved with any kind of measuring for the public. It is simply a set of numbers to signify what one needs to buy as replacements. Nobody at the user end can tell you what a 17 inch tire or wheal really measures - is it the outside dimension of the tread ? - the inner edge of the bead ?- the diameter of the well in the rim? Then you have the percent of aspect ratio to consider and width and rim style.
    It could as effectively have been decided to give each particular tire and wheel size a unique. code number with no reference to any measurement at all.
    The only people with any need to know measurements of tires and wheels are the ones involved in making them.
    All US cars are now (for decades already ) built to metric standards but multinational oil giants
    persist in putting oil in bottles labeled in US quarts in the USA, The Mexican market meekly follows and inattentive people there refer to them as litros of 946 ml but gas is pumped in actual liters.
    The supposed cost of converting to metric were grossly misrepresented and overstated as it could be phased in gradually as outdated production machinery and road signage are replaced .
    Without going metric or with metric in use the producers are constantly changing the sizes of packaging to keep apparent selling price disguised and to keep the consumers confused.Price goes up ? - package size is reduced to keep selling tag at same level.
  11. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah well I was thrilled to discover Whitworth personally...and the wait 2 weeks to get a set of wrenches.
  12. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow ! Metric or non metric; it just hasn't changed my life and probably won't.
  13. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Gazz,
    At Tijuana take the Otay Mesa crossing and get all your documents in order
    See borderhelper .com and then click on the Otay Mesa balloon.
  14. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    don't you have some gardening or house painting that needs to be done, maybe finally wash the car:lol3
  15. gazzaoak

gazzaoak n00b

Oddometer:

hey thanks a lot sjoerd!
  16. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why not ride with her to some beautiful place in the mountains.
  17. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Respect.:deal
  18. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    hahajaja:rofl
  19. pilot815

pilot815 Long timer

Oddometer:

After discussing routing I really wish I was going. I could go for a Mexico trip.
  20. lexluther11

lexluther11 Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer:
    The ferry is around $175 and that includes dinner and breakfast. I would get a cabin too, it's a 15 hour ferry ride to Mazatlan.